Laptop mouse/audio/video/etc running choppy.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GStam66, Sep 30, 2009.

1. GStam66

GStam66 Private First Class

First off, I am running Windows XP SP3 on a Dell inspiron E1505, no upgraded video cards or anything, just using the basic Intel chipset (345G i believe).

Anyway, I was playing a game on my laptop when my power cord accidentally unplugged. (Ive been having this problem for a while where my laptop gives me an error message saying that im using the wrong A/C adapter and my battery will not charge, kinda annoying. It takes a lot of wiggling/replugging to actually get it to charge.) Well my battery had no power so my laptop died. I waited a few seconds and plugged the power cord back in and restarted the laptop.

When windows rebooted, i noticed that the sound was kinda choppy, skipping every couple seconds, as was video. Any and all sounds, music, movies, even windows sounds. The mouse also skips and is jittery when trying to scroll, and sometimes the touchpad and mouse buttons dont work on the first click, takes two presses/taps to register.

I checked to see if it was in PIO or DMA mode (through the control panel and device manager properties), and it says its using DMA mode for both device 0 and 1. Also did the registry trick where it tells you to delete the "masterIDdatachecksum" and "slaveIDdatachecksum" values in the 000x series. Those are supposed to force windows to recheck the DMA/PIO stuff and force it to run in DMA. Still not working.

I tried system restores but i keep getting "could not be restored" as the result. Also tried running a few antivirus scans, but to no avail.

Anybody know what i need to do to fix this issue? Thanks in advance, and lemme know what other info you need about my laptop.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

If it takes a lot of wiggling/replugging to get it to charge, the connecter on the motherboard probably needs resoldering or replacing.

3. GStam66

GStam66 Private First Class

Lol thats not the problem I meant but thank you satrow, ill have my friend who's good with solder take a look at the connection after I get this jittery/skipping problem squared away. :)

4. MoPaR

MoPaR Private First Class

Using the Device Manager, uninstall all of the choppy devices and reboot, upon reboot windows should detect them and re-install them, you may also have to re-install the video and audio drivers form the manufacturer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds