laptop not booting properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scynful79, Jan 19, 2009.

1. scynful79

scynful79 Private E-2

First of all... Greetings everyone.. I'm new to the sight so if this has been asked before I apologize. Perhaps I'll get some links or some new advice still.
    I really love this site, I have d'loaded many programs that have been more than helpful. :-o Maybe there is a program to help me with this particular issue, I wouldn't even know what to look for on this.

also, not sure where to post this. Someone mentioned that it might be a hardware problem, however, I don't know what hardware would cause this type of issue.
    My laptop is still fairly new, not even a year old yet. I am using a Dell Inspiron 1525. Everything was already preloaded as I got it off the Dell website.

For the longest time I couldn't figure out what was going on. I couldn't stay connected to the internet, my calendar would come up when it felt like it, not when was suppose to. The network wouldn't show the other two computers half the time. I play an online game and I would just randomly get disconnected from it at least once a day. (It would cut me off the internet completely not just the game.) I would have to restart the whole computer again. Sleep or hybernate doesn't seem to work, either that, I don't know how they work. (which is very possible, never really use em.)

Recently, I've watched how the laptop boots up. First time it boots up, it appears to be normal. I'm connected to the internet, things work and so on. .. However, it isn't normal. ...rolleyes

I have a antivirus program that shows it's logo on start up... first start up, this doesn't pop up... my yahoo messenger box is suppose to pop up .. this does not come up on the first time either. Short cuts don't blink, calendar doesn't come up.. not connected to the network...

I have to restart my laptop and only then does it boot up properly. All the short cuts blink and sink up, it takes a moment or two for the internet to sink in, the virus logo comes up, my calendar comes up when it's suppose to, yahoo box... it all works..

It only works when I restart it though. I've noticed since I've found this out, I have not been disconnected from the internet.

It's almost as if on reboot the system correctly reads the registry, but on cold boot it doesn't.

It is ... although... getting a bit frustrating to have to turn the laptop on, then turn around and restart it. EVERY SINGLE TIME... It's been like this from the start.. :crybaby

Any suggestions on what I can possibly do to fix this problem? If anything at all?

I have not questioned it before on the account that I could not pin point the problem. Now that I have, it is easier to describe what the problem is and possibly find some solution to it. I really don't wish to send it back, then wait however long to get it back... If it comes down to it I will... but ..... :foolish

Thank you for your time.

2. rushy_m

rushy_m Private E-2

check your firewall is not blocking access, because i had a similar problem on my acer laptop, and it turned out to be the firewall. i discovered it after i uninstalled it.

3. scynful79

scynful79 Private E-2

What would I be looking for exactly in firewall? I do not know much about how to customize firewall. When I looked I did notice a few things were disabled. Right now my laptop is going through some scans so will have to get back to you on what those things were.

The checkdsk deleted an index entry for $SII of file 9... not sure exactly what that will help... I did a memory dianostic and that came up clean. Looked at the hardware and didn't see anything out of the ordinary..

If it is firewall then I'm not sure what I'm looking for there or what to enable/disable.

4. rushy_m

rushy_m Private E-2

im not saying it is definatly the firewall, but it may be.

if you are using a firewall like zonealarm, i would try uninstalling it and then try the internet. you can always reinstall it if that is not the problem. i know with mine, internet access was allowed but it was blocking access to mozilla firefox. i also did not realise this, because i had set the firewall not to start up.

do you use msn, if you do. does msn work, when then internet doesn't

if you are using windows firewall, like the one xp comes with, it will not be that.

5. scynful79

scynful79 Private E-2

I am using Vista. It is the original firewall that came with it, I have not loaded a special one up yet.

6. rushy_m

rushy_m Private E-2

ohh ok. sorry then i do not know.

maybe your network card has died. how old is the pc. should try taking it back under waranty and just play the dumb customer that knows nothing about computers. thats what im doing today with my pc. because that wont start

7. scynful79

scynful79 Private E-2

and the thing is, it isn't just the internet. It's the whole system. It doesn't boot up on the cold boot, i have to restart it. Even when I shut it down, then start it that way, it still doesn't sync in. It has to restart.

Everything works on the initial boot up. but like if i have a date set up on my calendar, it's suppose to come up as a reminder. This doesn't happen.
    the internet is acting like it's on a timer. i have access to it, but then it just randomly cuts me off.

When restart everything, the calendar will come up with it's reminder. I can stay on the internet for however long. The short cuts will blink and sync in with everything.

It is also the first comp that is hooked up to the network of the other 2 pc's. Husband was thinking that it might help me stay connected to internet, obviously it isn't. That's another thing I can not see the other computers, nor can they see the laptop on the first boot. After i restart it, everything is fine.

8. rushy_m

rushy_m Private E-2

mmm maybe you have a virus.

although you may have a virus scanner, i would download avast home, or the free version.

when you install it, it will ask you if you want to do a boost scan. run a boost scan. this will find any virus' that are starting up in your computer. sometimes virus' can take up to 5 mins to start.

the inital scan may take some time, but if there is a virus it should find it.

9. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Just started using Windows 7 and had a similar problem , have to reboot to get wireless connection up, checked firewall and connection was changed from home network to public network. Don't know if that is the problem, but am wondering how it got changed, Don't usually use BETA's with Windows but 7 is an Operating System. Have never used Vista at home, guess this is as close as I will ever get.
    Bug

10. scynful79

scynful79 Private E-2

It appears I got it working.. by playing around with things lol... Not sure exactly what I did.. but I believe it was when I went into the power options and chose high performance. So if that was the problem, it seemed to have fixed it. everything starts up the way it's suppose to.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds