Laptop not charging battery, wont run off AC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by garzajoed, May 31, 2006.

1. garzajoed

garzajoed Private E-2

Hello I have a Gateway model 6510GZ
    I have used it briefly in the past with no problems. It has sat for about 2 months. I powered it up and it runs fine. Went to charge battery and nothing. Laptop does not indicate charging nor does it run off of AC. Once the battery is dead it will not run at all. I disassembled the thing and checked that it was recieving the voltage from the AC power supply. Didnt see any type of on-board fuses, but everything is so small I may have missed it.
    Any help or ideals?

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to MG.

Try http://www.mundocorp.com/ for lots of stuff about Gateway laptops, including advice.

Post your answer here. It may help others.

Bazza

===

3. garzajoed

garzajoed Private E-2

All I see there are parts/accessories for sell.
    I already know where I can buy stuff from, thats not the problem

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

There is a FAQ and contact us links as well. Bazza

===

5. languy99

languy99 Corporal

it could be a number of thing from a failed ac charger( really never happens) to the most obvious, the dc jack has come loose on the board, i have fixed tons of laptops for the same reason, people can't get it to do anything, i tear it down see that the solder joints are broke, take it to a friend of mine that does electrical repair (he has the right tools) ten minutes later is all soldered, i put it back together again and it works just fine. try wiggling the cord where it plugs into the back of the laptop, see if any of the lights come on for a second, if they do then its the dc jack problem.

6. garzajoed

garzajoed Private E-2

Yes a bad power connection was my first guess. I have taken the motherboard out and verified that power was actually good through the plug onto the solder joints. I'm guessing its going to be a bad resistor or fuse, but have no way of finding that.

7. languy99

languy99 Corporal

also might be a bad dc-dc board

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds