Laptop Not Connecting to internet through Ethernet

Discussion in 'Software' started by arethosemine, Apr 13, 2015.

1. arethosemine

arethosemine Private E-2

I have an HP 15-f011nr that I recently purchased to replace an older one that no longer turned on. I have not had any problems previously with connecting to my Google Fiber through ethernet until recently. My computer connects (slowly) through wi-fi but every time I connect it directly to the router with an ethernet Cat-5e cable I can no longer access internet at all. This is not a problem with my wife's Macbook Pro, so I know it must be a problem with my PCIe Family controller FE for my laptop. Any idea how to fix this?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Are you sure the adapter is actually enabled and configured to connect automatically?

And what OS are you using?

3. arethosemine

arethosemine Private E-2

I'm fairly certain that my adapter is enabled. I've gone into the device manager and taken a look at it and it appears to be enabled. I am running Windows 8 (I believe)

4. Earthling

Device Manager cannot tell you whether it is enabled or not. It's Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center and in the left column > Change adapter settings. The Local Area Connection box should not be disabled but if it is then right click it and click Enable. Then right click it again > Properties > click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click the Properties button. Both choices should be on Automatic.

5. arethosemine

arethosemine Private E-2

It's all enabled. And the choices are both on Automatic.

6. Earthling

What does the router status light show for the port you are using, green or what?

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you have MAC address cloning enabled or disabled on your router?

If disabled, the ISP is expecting to see the MAC address of the non-functioning laptop. When a new MAC is spotted, it doesn't allow access.

Remove the router, hook the new laptop up directly to the modem. Do you have access?
    If not, call the ISP and give them the MAC of the new laptop and turn MAC cloning on in the router setup.

8. arethosemine

arethosemine Private E-2

this is a google fiber box, and from what I can tell it does not have a status light for individual ports, just a singular glowing blue light that signifies an Internet connection being broadcast. Connecting my wife's MacBook allows her to connect to the internet so it is not the modem/router combo that is the problem, from what I can tell.. It has to be my computer. And it's strange because the connection worked until recently.

9. arethosemine

arethosemine Private E-2

I am attempting to connect my laptop directly to the modem. I have google fiber so my modem is a router combo. It works connecting my wife's MacBook directly to it but it does not work when I connect my laptop to it using the exact same Ethernet cable/port.

10. Earthling

Try uninstalling the adapter in Device Manager (right click > Uninstall) and then using Action > Scan for hardware changes. This should reinstall the adapter driver in the event it has become corrupted.

11. arethosemine

arethosemine Private E-2

This seems to have worked! Thank you :)

12. Earthling

Thanks for the feedback.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds