Laptop only runs in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nichole2577, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Nichole2577

Nichole2577 Private E-2

Hi Everyone, I have a Toshiba Satellite L305D that starts and runs fine for a minute or two in normal mode. Then it slows to a stop and completely locks up. I have to shut it down by hand. It runs fine in Safe Mode. I did complete scans with Norton, SuperAntiSpyware and Glary. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Go to start / run / and type:
    msconfig

Disable all startup services. Then see if it runs in normal mode. If it does, re-enable each service one at a time.

3. Nichole2577

Nichole2577 Private E-2

Thank you for the response. I disabled all startups and it still froze. Very frustrating.

4. TimW

If you don't mind, I would like to see what is running on your system. In order to do that, I need you to run this tool:
    MGtools

It would be best if you download it directly to your C: drive ( If that is the root folder ) but you can run it from the desktop if necessary. You will find the resultant log at C:\MGLogs.zip. Attach that to your next reply. Do try to first run it in normal mode.

5. Nichole2577

Nichole2577 Private E-2

Sorry for taking so long to get back. Here is the zip. I was unable to perform it in normal mode. I appreciate your time.

Attached Files:

6. TimW

Download The Avenger by Swandog469, and save it to your Desktop.

* Extract+ avenger.exe from the Zip file and save it to your desktop

Please disable all anti-virus and anti-spyware programs while we do the following (re-enable when you are finished):

* Run avenger.exe by double-clicking on it.
    * -Do not change any check box options!!
    * Copy everything in the Quote box below, and paste it into the Input script here: part of the window:

* Now click the Execute button.
    * Click Yes to the prompt to confirm you want to execute.
    * Click Yes to the Reboot now? question that will appear when Avenger finishes running.
    * Your PC should reboot, if not, reboot it yourself.
    * A log file from Avenger will be produced at C:\avenger.txt and it will popup for you to view when you login after reboot.

Now run Ccleaner to clean out only temp files and nothing else!

Now see if you can boot into normal mode and try to run:

Now run the C:\MGtools\GetLogs.bat file by double clicking on it (Note: if using Vista, don't double click, use right click and select Run As Administrator).

Then attach the below logs:

* C:\Avenger.txt
    * C:\MGlogs.zip

Unfortunately I am not seeing any particular cause for your problem with normal mode.

7. Nichole2577

Nichole2577 Private E-2

Here are those files. Thank you

Attached Files:

8. Nichole2577

Nichole2577 Private E-2

Oops, here is the other.

Attached Files:

9. TimW

I am not seeing anything that could be the cause of your issues. If you have your OS CD, then I would suggest you boot to the bios, change the boot order to CD drive first and boot to your OS CD. From there try doing a system repair.

10. Nichole2577

Nichole2577 Private E-2

Thank you for your suggestions. Before I followed the last step, someone mentioned to me that I might try uninstalling Norton. That worked. I just purchased Norton in January and now I don't know if I want to reinstall it. Anyway, I wanted to post an update for those who might have the same problem. I really appreciate all of your help!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  11. TimW

Norton is notorious for causing problems!! I am very happy you got it working. I wouldn't reinstall Norton, esp. when there are plenty of freeware AV programs that do as good a job. Just check this thread:
    How to Protect yourself from malware!

or check the Top Freeware Picks.

12. Nichole2577

Nichole2577 Private E-2

I hadn't considered Norton because I assumed that when I disabled all Startups, Norton would be included. But Norton wasn't on the startup list. I am so glad to be out of Safe Mode! Thanks for the link!

Nichole

13. Dstimpson

Dstimpson Private E-2

I've got a slightly similar problem where my toshiba satellite (win7) fires up in safemode w/wo networking but in normal mode it crashes after a few minutes (hdd light steady non responsive system) I'll walk through my troubleshooting tree.

1) swapped HDD out of wifes toshiba also running 7 - no joy
    2) swapped Ram, ran AVG & ASC, reset BIOS - no joy
    3) altered Reg Key to allow windows installer to run and uninstalled all non system related programs - no joy
    4) updated all drivers through toshiba - no joy
    5) altered Reg to allow WU, Event Log & Bits to run - ran windows update - no joy
    6) set all services to either "disable" or "manual" to mirror safe mode - no joy

This has gotta be a hardware glitch But I have run stress test in safe mode and coud not crash or duplicate the discrepancy.

I am about to toss this thing out in the street and be done with it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds