Laptop opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psco2007, Mar 3, 2014.

1. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I am in the market for a laptop and ordered this one from Staples last week:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-4540s-15.6-Core-i3-500GB-HDD-Notebook/33494251#Specifications

The price was $399 because they gave me a $100 coupon - even got a conformation email.
    When I didn't receive it, I called and they said DISCONTINUED, but Walmart has it, as does Tigerdirect. (but I would have to pay $499,00.

Staples wouldn't even let me use the coupon tp purchase something else.

STAY AWAY FROM STAPLES!!
    They are useless!!!

Anyway, I am also looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-20B20011US-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00FU83YWS/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

I have a self-built PC with I7,16gb ram,Asus MOBO to do all my heavy lifting.

The laptop would only be for light Web surfing, watching movies, listening to music.

I'm inclined to go for the Lenovo and add an SSD.
    Through Amazon - no shipping or tax, so that would almost pay for the SSD.

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I'm personally not a fan of AMD in notebooks. While problematic, I have seen a lot more overheating and motherboard failure issues on 2-3 year old AMD notebooks versus Intel based ones. If it were me, I'd go with Intel.

Although store stock may vary, I saw a 15.6" Dell i3 with 6GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD in the Sugar Land, TX Walmart over the weekend on "Rollback" for $299. rolleyes - and yes, they had boxed units in stock.

3. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Yep, that's the one.

If you can stomach the idea of Windows 8 so long as it looks and acts like Windows 7, check out IObit's Start Menu 8 for Windows. It's free, and I've installed it on many of my clients' PCs with good reviews.

If you're set on Windows 7, check out www.microcenter.com. They have a decent selection of in-stock Win 7 units.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds