Laptop opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenhorn, May 20, 2006.

1. greenhorn

greenhorn Private First Class

looking to replace my desktop with a laptop, im not a hardcore gamer, but i do play halo (i know i know im not going to get as good graphics outta the laptop as a desktop) and my wife takes a ton of photos and is always messing around withem, anyways from what ive seen i think i can get something decent to do what i want for 1500-2000$ im looking for suggestions on brands and anything else you feel like adding in. i think that should be enough info to get some kinda respones

(if i shoulda posted this somewhere else sorry)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Moved it to Hardware as many of our members dont goto the lounge but do read the tech forums,

While I'm just on my way out but I will just leave these thoughts for now,

I find HP, Compaq, ASUS, Advent (maybe UK or EU only dont know if Advent are in the US ) and Sony all good makes and fairly reliable, I have a Compaq one and its fine, no issues with it at all.

A few things I would NEED to have on a laptop are;

at least 1.6ghz or above CPU ( I have a 2.2ghz AMD Mobile Athlon 64 at present )

1gb or Ram
    80-100GB HD
    a GFX card with its own dedicated memory 128mb or above ( do not go for a laptop with shared memory if your wanting to play 3d games )

I would tho aim to a CPU which is 64bit capable for future usage with upcomming Operating Systems and Software which will be 64bit capable, AMD Athlon64 or AMD Turion64s are very good, so are Intels Centrino ( I would only go with if going Intel with the Centrino's and not the Celeron Ms )

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Be sure to check these out:

Acer's a good brand. I've got one. Their warranty was great when my AC adapter stopped working. I called them and someone who was actually from America helped me. I had a new one on my doorstep in three days.

Anyway, check these out. Newegg usually has the best prices, but feel free to check other places for these models:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115223
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115218
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115224
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115197

Hope this helps. Those are all good with battery life + speed + light to medium gaming. :)

4. greenhorn

i owned an acer about 6 0r 7 years ago i was always happy with it. tho it seemed kinda cheaply made to me at the time.

was looking at that acer aspire at newegg earlier this morning.

5. chriswright1905

chriswright1905 Private E-2

i also owned an acer travelmate 2700, cracking piece of kit, but after having a desktop i dont think i'd go back to one:)

6. greenhorn

yeah i would rather keep with a desktop, but circumstances dictate otherwise.
    does anyone have any opinions about the hp pavillion, it seems like it has alot of extra gadgets and whatnot to go with it?

7. greenhorn

(just bumping)
    still wondering if anyone has any opinions

8. languy99

languy99 Corporal

well i just got my brother a new dell a while ago, it was a inspiron 9400 with intel core duo 1.6GHz ( its really fast at multitasking), ati 256Mb radeon mobility, 60gb 7200rpm HD, 1Gb ddr2 ram, dvd+rw, 9 cell battery, intel pro wireless card, 17" wide screen display and MS office small business edition, Xp pro for 2000 out the boor not a bad deal in my book, a laptop like that should last you at least 3-4 years before you need to upgrade again. this computer is basically a desktop replacement and that's what he needed, and it might work for you too. now you can get this computer for about 1800 out the door, its gotten even better.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds