Laptop Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drnuel73, Mar 1, 2014.

1. drnuel73

drnuel73 Private E-2

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire 5742. Intel Core i5 - 480M (Arrandale) 4gb ram (but I added two to make it six), 500gb hard drive Intel HD Graphics.

Its not up to three months old, and I started noticing that It would go off while I was playing a game (PES 2013) whilst on a bed. I discovered that was the reason and I started placing it on a table but i was still turning off. I went online and I was advised to get a cooling pad which I got but it still over heats. (Even when am just using Microsoft word!)

I installed Core Temp. which I set to hibernate my laptop each time it reached 90 - 95 degrees and then it became a lot frustrating as not long after booting my system hibernates and the under is stil very hot.

The fan blows VERY hot air all the time. and i don't know why. i touched under the laptop and also dicovered that the places where the ram and hard drive are were also very hot so I opened the part over the ram and removed the extra ram but then it still did the same thing, so i put it back. I dont know how to open the laptop fully as it is very difficult doing so. even the keyboards are warm. Its average temp is about 60 degrees and above. which is scary and now my laptop has developed the habit of always hibernating.

What do I do? I'm really getting fed up!

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Since it's only 3 months old, it's still under warranty. I'd get a replacement.

3. drnuel73

drnuel73 Private E-2

But I travelled out with it and sending it back will cost a lot.

4. mdonah

Did you get it at a place like BestBuy? or directly from the manufacturer?

5. drnuel73

drnuel73 Private E-2

At a retail shop.

Sorry I needed help with the laptop, not sending it back because i dont have money for all that stuff.

6. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Just a hunch the CPU was not set in paste properly, if so it cannot get rid of the heat it makes when gaming. That requires opening it up removing the cooler assy and thoroughly cleaning with alcohol and setting it back with Artic Silver, not a bad job just take your time. You may be able to find a dis-assembly flic on Utube!

7. mdonah

Get an RMA from Acer and take it back to the retail shop. Then they can worry about shipping it.

8. mdonah

If he takes it apart, he'll void the warranty. He should get an RMA from Acer and take it back to the retail shop he bought it from.

9. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

100% right! What the heck was I thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds