Laptop says its charging... But the power % keeps dropping?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cronoisme, May 8, 2012.

1. Cronoisme

Cronoisme Private First Class

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5504 and it's about 3 months old. Last night I noticed the laptop said it was charging but the battery percentage kept on dropping. I tried a few things before the battery its self actually died. A few forums told me to uninstall a few ACPI options under batteries in device manager and another device under system devices. So I did and none of those helped what so ever. So eventually the laptop got to 0% and died lol. Im not sure if its a problem with the actual battery its self or the charger or something is wrong internally with the hardware. Because when even when I remove the battery and have the charger plugged in it still will not turn on. But when i use the same charger on a different Toshiba laptop and take the battery out the computer still turns on. Does any one have any suggestions on what this could possibly be. I have a warranty on it and everything and ill just end up getting a new one. I just want to know if anyone has any ideas on what went wrong within a friggen 3 month time span.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Have you reinstalled those devices in device manager? Not all laptops will work without a battery in,some are just fussy.

Off the top of my head I'm wondering if you've got your chargers mixed up and they have slightly different specs so double check? I've just tried to work through the possible scenarios and solutions and have come to the conclusion that,the battery,the power control system and the psu could potentially cause those symptoms.

You've tested the power supply on another laptop but its doesn't mean it isn't faulty,the psu may not be able to provide enough current to power the newer laptop but enough to power the older one,check the voltage with a multimeter and make sure it matches the spec,post the spec's volts,amps,wattage written on the side of both power supplies if possible.

There's also a little trick you can do with the battery pins,clean them off then pull them out very slightly with a pen or similar to make sure they make full contact with the battery,be careful not to break them though.

If your laptop stays on long enough to use type cmd in the search box,right click command prompt and run as administrator,in the cmd prompt type

powercfg -energy

Go to C:\windows\system32\energy-report you'll find a html file,copy and past to your desktop then open.

At the bottom where it says battery information will be two numbers,design capacity and last full charge,post those two numbers,since your battery is new it should hold nearly a full charge.

3. MHD

MHD Private E-2

Ok, try this, it might work.

Keep your laptop on charge for 12 hours, then tell us the result. Hope it works.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds