Laptop screen goes one solid colour

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dasfelix, Jul 29, 2011.

1. dasfelix

dasfelix Private E-2

Hi everyone. My first post.

I was wandering if anyone can help me before I throw my laptop against a brick wall.

Its a Tosh Satelitte running XP SP2.

A couple of days ago my screen went one solid colour and the only thing to do is turn it off and on again. since then it does it regularly, sometimes blue, green, white, red etc. Looked around on various forums and to see what solutions i could come up with. The first thing I did was plug into an external monitor. But alas, when the laptop screen went a solid colour, so did the monitor. So i backed everything up and used my Toshiba recoevery disc. Still I have the problem. I thought it must be the hard drive. I've just got a new one in the post, put it in, reloaded Windown.............. and still the same.

Please help me someone. Is it time for a new laptop?

Thanks, Felix

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Attach an external monitor. If the external monitor turns one color, then it might mean your videp chip is dying. If the monitor shows a perfect display, then it is time to look at the screen, video cable inside the laptop, etc.

3. dasfelix

dasfelix Private E-2

hi, plugged in an external monitor, and the screen matches the laptop when problem occurs. Are video chips easy to replace? Im going to take the back off in a minute to see what it looks like in there

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    unless you know how to fix laptops I would leave well alone and if it is worth the expense of a repair shop fixing it then let them sort it, laptops are a lot harder to work on than desktops, graphic chips can be replaced but it is a very delecate procedure and requires soldering, which done wrong can render the motherboard useless.

iain.t :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds