Laptop screen half visiable half pink/solid color

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Break_Da, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

have a laptop, half the screen is visible, half isn't... any ideas?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Attach an external monitor. Is the screen the same or is it full? We need to setermine if it is a hardware or a software problem and this would be an easy way to help.

3. thetechnomancer

thetechnomancer Private E-2

Hook it up to an external monitor. If the external monitor displays the video normally, the problem is your LCD panel. If the external monitor has the exact same problem, the issue is with your onboard video.

LCD screens can be found on eBay for around 50-60 bucks, just search "[your model number] LCD" and you'll get a ton of results.

There's a very, very small chance that the issue is with the video cable that connects the back of your LCD panel to the motherboard, but I've seen this on MAYBE .01% of jobs with faulty displays.

4. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

The last three laptops I've fixed with malfunctioning displays were due to either a loose cable, or a pinched cable. :confused

5. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

I was able to throw the output to another screen from the laptop, looks like the screen is bad or possible cable?

I believe I can do it myself but would like a 'guide' to point a little, any ideas?

6. thetechnomancer

Bad luck or you happen to work on a lot of Thinkpads. I work on about 40 laptops a week from various manufacturers (not always screens, of course) and have seen it maybe 10 times in three years.

7. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

Two Mac books and a Sony Vaio. Although one of the Macs, and the Sony both had broken hinges, which in turn pinched the cables and broke the wires inside their insulation. The other Mac just had the notorious loose plug that causes the screen to go blank when tilted.

8. thetechnomancer

I don't count Macs when considering typical PC issues to be honest, those things come with their own sets of problems... :-D

9. thetechnomancer

Most screen replacements are similar -- remove the little rubber bumpers on the face of the LCD bezel that cover the screws, remove the screws, pry off the plastic face, remove the screws in the brackets that attach the LCD to the bracket/hinge assembly, disconnect the cable at the back of the LCD monitor and the backlight plug down by the inverter, then reverse the instructions to install a new one.

You never mentioned your model number, but some have very detailed pictorials online.

10. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

heh, true true

I used to be the same way, but then I figured it's all the same thing. If I can turn a screw on a Windows laptop I can turn a screw on a Mac Book. No point in limiting my clientele base. I also do the same type of work on Nokia's, Motorola's, etc. Of course there are special tools for working on cell phones, but essentially it's all the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds