Laptop Shuts Down Prematurely When On Battery Power

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoshenGeek, Sep 8, 2016.

1. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

System: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
    Laptop: ASUS K52F with SSD; Laptop is almost 6 years old

When the laptop is on battery power, the laptop shuts down when the battery gets down to about 50-60%. This is a new behavior; the laptop did not behave like this in the past. The critical battery setting is at 10% so it should not shut down at 50-60%. I opened the laptop and checked for dust - it is clean since I periodically clean it. I scanned the laptop (in safe mode) with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, ADWCleaner, Gmer, TDSSKiller, Avira - nothing found. Could this just be a bad battery? Or could the laptop be shutting down on high heat?

Any thoughts as to why this is happening and what I can do to solve this problem? Thank you.

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You probably need a new battery.
    My husband's netbook show 95% remaining but shuts down in 2 - 3 minutes.
    The battery will not hold a charge and the % shown remaining is also no longer reliable.

4. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

I found the problem -- ME!!! I'm an idiot. When I have the laptop on my lap, I was using my left hand to hold the side of the laptop. Guess where my left hand was? You guessed it - right on top of the fan exhaust!! No wonder the laptop overheated. I was blocking the exhaust. Sigh..... I wish the exhaust was in the back of the laptop.

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I know it's called a laptop but, it's still best to put it on a hard surface. You won't have to hold your hand on it to keep it steady.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

All our laptop/netbook computers are on wooden boards that my husband cut large enough to hold the laptop, mousepad and mouse. That's how we place them on our laps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds