laptop vs. small desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dome, Jan 29, 2005.

1. dome

dome Private E-2

My son will be needing a computer when he goes to college next fall. Can someone give us some advice concerning whether or not to purchase a laptop as opposed to a small desktop. The computer will used for doing term papers and emailing. The school he will be attending has wireless access (802.11b).

We have an IBM desktop at home running WinXP. I am not familiar with laptops, except I have been told in the past to steer clear of them because of the problems associated with them. So I am wondering if a small desktop would be a better option. The computer would stay in his room. He would not have to cart it from place to place other than taking it to school and then back home again for the summer.

Please feel free to mention brand names.

(Oh, BTW, is a laptop the same thing as a notebook?)

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Many people consider this big question before going off to uni/college - laptop or desktop. Yes, laptop is same as a notebook btw.
    If it were me, I would probably go with a higher spec laptop as you don't know how much space you will have in your dorm. or room or wherever you're staying. Also, they're great for if you do want to cart it around to other rooms, although you mentioned this not being a problem.
    Another thing to consider is the security in colleges - laptops are easier for someone to steal whereas a desktop requires a lot of unplugging and is harder to get away with!
    From the info you gave us, it appears that a desktop may be a better solution for your son. Could you please give us your location and we can then offer sites/brands that may suite your needs best.

3. armstrong

armstrong Private E-2

Yes, I'd go for the small desktop. You'll generally get more for your money and the extra cost for a laptop is partly for the convenience of being able to carry it around when you're travelling, so not worth it in this case.

4. dome

dome Private E-2

Thanks for your input. I live in the USA (New England).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds