Laptop wont go furthur than the "starting windows" screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nicholaskid16, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Nicholaskid16

Nicholaskid16 Private E-2

I did a fresh install of windows 7 about 5 months ago but today when I went to start up my laptop it stays at the "starting windows" screen and doesn't go past that

I tried doing every single option to start it but no matter which one I try it always gets stuck at the "starting windows" screen

Also I think I might need to get a repair disk in order to solve my problems since Ive been trying all morning to get it to start and nothing so how would I get another repair disk if I lost mine?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You could try creating this disc and then boot to it. Open the command prompt and try doing a fixmbr:

Vista and Win7 Recovery disc

For fixing the boot issues:
    To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when you are prompted.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

If necc. you can do this:

Bootrec.exe /fixmbr

3. Nicholaskid16

ok Im burning it to a dvd... ill write back with a update hopefully it works..

4. Nicholaskid16

I downloaded the file like you said burned it on a dvd then i press the button when it told me to. but then it went straigt to a loading file screen and after loading the files it went back to the starting windows screen?

How do I get to the point were you are talking about #3-#7?

5. TimW

Did you change your bios to make the dvd-rom the first boot device?

6. Nicholaskid16

yes i made my dvd rom boot first and made my HDD boot last

after startup it says to press any botton to boot from cd or dvd...

then I press a button and then it says windows is loading files and after loading files it then tries to load the OS like regular and then it gets stuck at the point were it says microsoft incorporations and theres a bar on top with green bars going back and forth signifying its trying to load

7. TimW

Well that is strange. I have not come across this issue happening with those disc's. It should load straight to the Recovery Environment. You did download the correct file for your system version?

8. Nicholaskid16

I think I might have burned the CD wrong who knows Im going to try the method the website suggests right now then see if anything different works.

9. Nicholaskid16

Well i burned the disc the way site said then all of a sudden I go back to my laptop and computer was at the main screen... So im not exactly sure what happend but im guessing after about 30min of waiting it must of finally went on ...but Im still nervous for when I have to restart my computer or turning it off...:(

Thanks for the help though

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds