Laptop Won't Go Online All Of The Sudden

Discussion in 'Software' started by rootsrocker, Nov 27, 2014.

1. rootsrocker

rootsrocker Private E-2

My wife's laptop won't go online now. She has done nothing out of the ordinary or made any changes. Windows 7.

We have a wireless router and she has never had any issues. Now, when she tries to open her IE browser she gets a message saying the proxy server has an issue.

Never seen that before. I went to the Control panel and it says she is connected to the internet but she can't get on the net.

My laptop is fine, no issues (Windows 8) Using the same wireless router.

Any suggestions ? Connection troubleshooter says the adapter won't allow a connection.

2. sh@peshift3r

sh@peshift3r Private E-2

I think I had this problem months ago, just all of a sudden I can't connect to our wireless router. Had you tried restarting it or connecting it directly to the router? Mine just got back after a few hours without fixing it up.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Two things I find that often confuse me:
    1) the WiFi antenna is off and Windows just gets confused. Check that it is on when you boot, after Windows starts can be too late as Windows may not discover the change when you turn on the antenna. This should be a two key "switch" to turn off and on the antenna.
    2) Firewalls in Windows and the router, turn em all off for testing

4. rootsrocker

rootsrocker Private E-2

Tried powering router down and restarting it.

May try connecting straight to modem and see what happens.

5. rootsrocker

rootsrocker Private E-2

Thanks, I'll try those ideas as well.

6. rootsrocker

rootsrocker Private E-2

Did a second System Restore and that took care of it.

Thanks again for the replies !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds