Laptop wont reconize new memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john_hl59, Jun 3, 2007.

1. john_hl59

john_hl59 Private E-2

I have a Compaq Presario 2190US laptop. Factory instaled 256MB PC2100 266MHz memory. Crucial,PNY, & Best Buy all indicate that I can install 512MB PC2700, 333MHZ 200 pin sodimm memory sticks. They indicate that PC2700 is backward compatible with PC2100, but when I purchased this upgrade my system would not boot up. Nothing happened after the fans coming on. No warning beeps nothing. If I leave in the factory chip and install the new chips in the open slot the system boots and runs but only reconizes the 256MB PC2100 chip. Somebody help me. I was told I have the current BIOS so that is not an option. Help.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

So what makes you think the new memory module is OK?

Studio T

3. john_hl59

john_hl59 Private E-2

bought brand new. Packaging said compatable with PC2100 266mhz

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

There is no special magic to fitting your new memory. It should just slot in and work. Do you have a mate with another laptop you could try it in? Also have you tried the modules both ways round so you know both slots in the laptop as active?

Other than that I think you will need to take it up with the supplier.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds