Laptop wont shut down with lid closed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coldcell, Dec 24, 2006.

1. coldcell

coldcell Private First Class

Usually, when I close my laptop, it will go into sleep mode. But since changing my hard disk, it isnt doing that anymore.

I go to control panel, power options and I see there is an option for "When I close the lid of my laptop"... however the only choice I have is "Do nothing".

How do I make my laptop to sleep if I close the lid?

2. Deacon

Deacon Private E-2

In the power options dialog, were there other options that were "grayed" out? If so, you may not be logged on as an administrator. Your privileges may be limited under your current profile. If no other options are listed at all, more info is needed, such as what operating system you have and what changes were made to the system since installing the new HD. If no other obvious causes are found, it may have something to do with the setup options when you power on the machine. I'm more of a desktop person so the laptop gurus can put in their 2 cents worth.
    Deacon

3. coldcell

coldcell Private First Class

No options are greyed out. The options simply arent there.. only "do nothing".

Hmm... when I load the window, the only profile I can choose is one. Should I go into safe mode and log in as administrator? I'm running windows xp sp 2 btw.

I basically "formatted" my PC by buying a new hard disk. Brand new windows, programs etc.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Work around:
    For a one-click method to quickly shut down or reboot your system without the fuss of going through the Start menu, make use of the Shutdown command, a command line utility in XP.

Here's how you can set up a restart button on your desktop:

1. Create a shortcut (Right-click on desktop, select New > Shortcut).

2. For location, type the following:

shutdown -r -t 0

3. Click Next, enter a name for the shortcut ("Restart" is appropriate), and click Finish.

When you click your Restart shortcut, Windows XP will reboot *automagically*!

The "-r" switch tells XP to reboot. If you'd like the shortcut to shut off your PC instead, change it to "-s"; to simply log off, change it to "-l". The "-t 0" sets the timeout (in seconds), so up this value if you find the need for it. To force running applications to close, add "-f" -- be careful with this one!

5. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi, cold. Just curious...did you image your old hdd, or just load your new one from mfr's restore discs, or what?

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I am guessing he did not use the OEM disks that came with the machine. This would be why the Power Management options are not there.

7. sl00py99

8. sl00py99

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds