Latest Java

Discussion in 'Software' started by Blueheeler, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Blueheeler

Blueheeler Private E-2

Is anyone having problems with the latest Java update? Since installing update 9
    both my browsers have been crashing. (Opera and Firefox) I'm going to uninstall
    it and reinstall update 8 which didn't cause any problems.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have you uninstalled all the versions of java on your computer, via add/remove?

I haven't had any issues with version 9 either, or the beta of 6.0. :)

Forgot to ask. What exact error codes are ye getting? What sites are ye going to that requries java?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  3. abri

abri MajorGeek

I had big troubles with 9, so just dumped it and went back to whatever version I was at before. My computer does really well with some software, but as soon as it hits the early 2006 line, it balks. I don't know why. Call it old age? The previous versions are at:
    http://www.oldapps.com/java.htm

abri

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  4. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

QFT. Do that for every program.

5. Blueheeler

Blueheeler Private E-2

In reply to theefool. With both browsers, at random times I get a popup window informing me that the browser has a problem and needs to close.
    Your question on what sites I'm visiting that require JRE to be loaded, made me think. Fact is, I've been using JRE for so long now that I can't remember why I first started to use it.

As an experiment, I disabled JRE in both browsers and for the past hour or so I've been browsing several sites without any discernable problems.

I'm going to leave JRE installed and enable it if/when it's needed.

Meantime I haven't had a browser crash since disabling.

6. Blueheeler

Blueheeler Private E-2

Update. Since my last post I've discovered that sections of some sites that I regularly visit are missing. Things like product indexes on dealers sites.
    So JRE is going to have to be enabled on my browsers, otherwise I won't know what might be missing on some sites.

7. Blueheeler

Blueheeler Private E-2

News update2
    I decided to reinstall Java 5 update9 to see if the previous installation was faulty but my browsers were still crashing so I uninstalled again and visited the Sun Java website to see if I could find some info about my problem.

It seems that the first release of JRE update9 was buggy, and Sun were advising users to download and install the latest build which rectified the bug.
    I did, and it works now on both browsers without crashing. Whew!

8. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

I havn't noticed, R you guys running FF 2.0. Curious, cause all is (seems)normal :)

9. Blueheeler

Blueheeler Private E-2

I'm running Firefox2 and latest Opera. Could be some other program coming into play that was causing the crashes. Whatever it was, all is well now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds