Lavasoft Problems ?????

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hal4511, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Hal4511

Hal4511 Private E-2

Anyone else having a problem with Ad Aware 2007 ???

I have a problem, I simply changed my email address since I orginally purchased their product, very simple but no one at Lavasoft seems to read anything I send them I only get automated responses. I cannot update even though I have a proof of purchase which I have sent now 4 times .....

Also I have noticed that a lot of people are having problems with the new software ....

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Actually you would have been better off posting this in the Software Forum which is where I will move it to. You will get more comments in that forum since no one can post in threads in the Malware Forum except the thread creator and one of malware fighters, mods, or admins.

Personally I don't recommend this program in the free version due to it being too buggy and due to the resource hog service that always runs even when you are not scanning. Since the free version does not provide any active protection this service should not be running while not scanning. And at a minimum it should not be such a massive resource hog. I know you have a paid version which does provide realtime protection, but the service (which makes sense while offering realtime protection) has still been noted to be a massive resource hog (unless something has recently changed).

I know many people have the same complaint as above and others have experienced issues with:
    • it not being able to update
    • crashing
    • slow scanning
    I will offer one word of advice though. You may want to consider running the steps in this Sticky thread READ & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking for Support in the Malware Forum. It could be that your inability to get updates is due to an existing malware infection (although that would not speak very well for the programs effectiveness).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  3. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

I had a few problems with Ad Aware 2007. I used their support forums and had a solution from an admin. within an hour. It was during normal US daytime business hours. I think that is partly why the response was so fast as I expected not have an answer from an admin. at all. Here is the link to their forums.
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?act=idx

4. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I've not had too many problems with the free AAW 2007 - the new update module is buggy, auto-update doesn't work, but I can update. It is a resource hog, but I set the aawservice2007.exe to manual start, now it doesn't launch at startup - though I have to reboot to kill the service after running the program, stopping it in the Task Manager doesn't stick.

It is ridiculous to have it tying up so much RAM - over 23,000 K on my system - when it has no realtime shield. They really should fix that.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  5. Hal4511

Hal4511 Private E-2

Thanks I'm new here, got so frustrated with the support board at Lavasoft I had to find some help ....

You have confirmed what I already susspectd namely Ad Aware is not what it should be and is a reasource hog to boot ...

Thx

6. Hal4511

Hal4511 Private E-2

It took me five days and eight emails to finally get things sorted ...

Now I'm afraid to to load the thing ...

LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds