Layer 3 Switch Configuration

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Twilley, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Twilley

Twilley Private E-2

Hi All,
    I’ve been given the task of redoing our network infrastructure. Up until now, all the networks have been completely separated via different (off the shelf) switches or routers, some daisy chained. Recently though, we’ve just had a refit and a large amount of network cable put in to create a patchbay area and purchased a layer-3 switch with DHCP (Netgear FSM7352S). Now the plan is to get rid of all the cheap/unreliable/old equipment and get the switch to do all of the networking (apart from the ADSL routers feeding the internet feeds to the switch itself).

We have requirement for quite a few separate networks, whether it be via VLAN or subnetting… but I believe it will need to be VLANs. Some of the networks will have machines with (external) static IPs set on them (a range given to us via an ISP)… some machines will have static IPs set on them as part of an internal network … and other machines will need IPs given via DHCP. There will be a rather large mix (mess) of different IP ranges, internal and external, that we have to deal with. We also have quite a few different internet connections, and different networks may use the same connection but can’t communicate with each other. Some networks are not permitted to take a route to the internet.

(see attachment Full Diagram.png)

I’m new to using this level of switching/routing/networking but have plenty of experience with networking on a lower (single network) level. I've only had experience configuring switches and routers at a web-interface based level but if required, can issue commands via other means.

I’ve tried to get things working but at a loss.

I’ve done the diagram as I feel this will be easier to understand rather than a lot of words. Also I don’t expect an solution to it all, but just need to get knowledge to set me on my way... but the more help I get, the better... and it's all appreciated.

TASK 1
    First thing I’m attempting is something similar to NETWORK/VLAN 3 according to the diagram. We have a network connection, been given an external IP and gateway address which we cant change (these are actually external IPs). This is going to be used by approx 6 machines all with local IP set to them (whether I set them static on the machines or IPs assigned from the switch is not important in this case). Each machine will connect to a port on the switch directly. If these are using a local IP range e.g. 192.168.2.2 through to 192.168.2.7 … and are on their own network, how can I get them to use this internet connection. We do have another network that will use this connection at a later date (needs to be separate from this one)

INTERNET GATEWAY: 91.xx.xx.33 (can’t change)
    MASK: 255.255.255.240
    WAN IP: 91.xx.xx.36 (we also have .37 but reserved for machine on another network)

INTERNAL IPs: Whatever

(see attachment TASK 1)

TASK 2
    The other thing I’m trying soon is that we will use one of our internet connections for a few of our different networks. We have a range of about 14 useable IPs with his provider. One of the networks will have machines with these external IPs assigned statically (at the machine itself, not switch… but if it makes it easier, have the switch reserve the external IP per MAC address). However another network will use this internet connection, but does not require use of the external IPs, and just has a wireless router hooked up to the switch, issuing IPs in a local range. There is one machine on this virtual network that we may want to be able to use another internet connection (or be part of another VLAN). There are a few other networks that use this internet connection and are all separate from each other

Any help at all to set me on my way will be great. I’ve tried looking up samples online but they haven’t been much help

INTERNET GATEWAY: 82.xx.xx.78 (can’t change)
    MASK: 255.255.255.240
    NETWORK ADDRESS: 82.xx.xx.64
    IP RANGE: 82.xx.xx.65 to 82.xx.xx.77

(see attachment TASK 2)

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds