LCD Monitor blackout and resets only when playing games??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by da_vinci1452, Sep 8, 2005.

1. da_vinci1452

da_vinci1452 Private E-2

Hello fine folks! I have a girlfriend (oh joy!) with a major LCD Monitor issue. Well that's the only issue I am allowed to talk about here anyways.

Over the past month her monitor seems to be resetting ONLY when playing some pc video cames. These are not really high resolution games such as Half-life or anything. These are free games found on Yahoo or Terragames webistes or the like. The oddest thing I find is that when the screen comes back (just black for 2-3 seconds) the game program is minimized. This does not happen with Excel, Word, or any other programs on her pc. I have had her uninstall and then reinstall the games to no avail. We have also adjusted the resolution settings about 6 times which didn't help either.

I am no expert but I have had pretty good success trouble shooting in the past, and this site has been instrumental in helping me on at least one other issue. So I was hoping somebody may have more experience than I do in this area and be willing to help. Please - she is becomming impossible to live with!!! No kidding. Please help guys!

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Try uninstalling and re-installing the graphics driver and/or make sure you have the latest driver from the manufacturer!! If you have recently installed the latest driver for your graphics...try rolling back to the last version you remember being stable!!

It sounds to me like your graphics driver keeps trying to reset the screen resolution...which can be a result of a corrupt driver...or simply needing to update the driver in order for it to be compatible with what is giving you your problems!!

If you need anymore clarification...just let me know!!

Roger

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

What Roger said may be it... To me it sounds like maybe you should uninstall and reinstall Shockwave or Flash or whichever player your games are based on.

You should be able to find out fairly easy by reading small print around the games or especially during load times. Just uninstall whichever program it is and reinstall it-- it may be giving you the conflicts.

4. eyore298

eyore298 Private E-2

Just a note to tell you thanks! I had a simular problem with Webshots. I did think my expensive monitor was fried until I started troubleshooting and figured out it did come on if I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I searched Major Geeks and found your reply to the gaming problem and figured it was basically the same thing. My monitor is working! Thanks! :) :D

5. phayde

phayde Private E-2

My viewsonice perfect flat has the same issue. It's not an LCD though, i've tried installing omnitor drivers and new ATI drivers. Its been doing it for a while now. it's very annoying but thankfully i dont game much anymore but it is very very annoying when i do.

6. eyore298

eyore298 Private E-2

Morning phayde, I am not sure you will like my answer to your problem. I simply removed the webshots picture causing the problem. I used my old monitor to check it out, my system was working so I searched Major Geeks and removed the last picture I had downloaded and it simply replugged it and it came on. I figured if it was the game and it's drivers causing the problem then I didn't need the screensaver I had downloaded. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds