LCD Monitors getting warm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goldenskull, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I have two LCD monitors one is a HPvs17e and another is a Hanns-G the both work nicely but lately it seems that they are getting very hot the HP is a bit older then the Hanns-G.

Hours on the HPvs17e is 58191 Hours total.

I can not find the hours on the Hanns-G

But i had that one for a year i really don't think it is normal for a LCD monitor too get so hot that it makes you sweet.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I like sweets. And with Halloween approaching, there's a bunch here! ;)

What is your ambient (room) temperature? Are you entering Winter or Summer where you live? I have 2 22" Samsungs and I can certainly feel heat coming off them when they have been on for some time.

There are two reasons electronics heat above "normal" levels: lack of ventilation and drawing too much current due to some component failure. So, are your monitors stuffed in a cabinet or under a hutch where heat is being trapped? Fortunately, most monitors don't have fans to pull in a bunch of heat trapping dust. Note too that monitors with internal power supplies tend to get warmer than those with external AC to DC transformers.

It is not likely both started drawing too much current due to component failure at the same time - and unless these monitors are inside a cabinet, I think this might be a menopause thing! :-D

If you have them connected to a "good" UPS with AVR (and if not, why not?) that has an LCD readout of the load of the attached devices, you can monitor the demand with the monitors off, then one at a time, power them on and see how much the demand increases. Then check the specs for your monitors and see how they compare. Mine draw about 40 extra watts each when switched from off (or standby actually) to on. And according the specs, they should draw 42.

If your UPS does not have an LCD readout, most come with monitoring software that will display the load, if the communications cable is attached. Of course, the problem there is the load is displayed on the monitor. But since you have two monitors, that should not be much of an issue.

3. Goldenskull

oops for got the A lol:-D i hate that.I like sweets too:-D.

Any way They are getting plenty of cooling no doubt about that,I have a air cleaner system behind it that picks out the dust in the air and the good air blows on both of them.I have them connected to a Surge protector but don't understand way they are getting hot in a cool basement.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If they are older LCD's they all have cfl back lights which can give off quite a bit of heat especially if the backlight is at 100%.

First blow them out with a compressor or canned air they do get dusty inside as they get older as Digerati mentioned and need cleaning, second turn down the back light or brightness of the screen or switch the picture mode to energy saving which most monitors and TV's have which does the same thing really, turns the back light and brightness down.

If your still worried connect a wattage meter to each monitor and see how much power it's drawing, if there is a fault that creates too much heat it may be drawing too much power, the amount of power each monitor pulls is written on the back plate, again as Digerati said they get older and the components get less efficient and put out more heat.

It's only experience really that lets you know when there's too much heat coming from a device, as a general rule if I can't hold my hand on it indefinitely it's far too hot.

5. Goldenskull

The Black light hours on the HPv17e is at 14662.

Well my point is that if i touch it when it gets hot i can not put my hand on it for very long the HP is the one that is the worst.

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Well, it is hard to tell from here what is going on. As noted, the fluorescent backlight (CCFL) and the inverter that drives it can get pretty warm, especially if pushed to full brightness with light colors for extended periods - but that is normal - even though "CC" stands for "cold" cathode.

It is not likely excessive dust build up would collect inside the monitors with no fans, but it is essential vents (top and bottom) be clear so convection (transfer of heat) can take place and allow the heat to escape. So cleaning is still a good idea.

That said, 130°F water from a typical home water heater can scald you (which is why the recommended setting is 120°F - especially if children in the house), but that temperature is not likely to be so hot as to melt plastic or cause electronics to burn - especially not those devices that are expected to heat up, like inverters and light bulbs.

But I agree 100% if you cannot hold your hand on the "hot spot" of the exterior of the monitor indefinitely, then something is getting too hot. But what's too hot to hold? Everybody's sensitivity threshold is different. I have a desk lamp with one of those circular florescence bulbs that has been turned on for about an hour. I just put my hand on the hottest part of the bulb. It was very uncomfortable but my laser-guided IR thermometer says it is only 124.6°F.

I note the melting point of typical solder used in most electronics is above 200°C (392°F), and that is easily reached with a 25W soldering iron.

Using a power meter (or UPS readout) to determine power (current) draw would be wise at this point. If these monitors are drawing excessive power, then that would suggest a component is shorting out. A short is a drop in resistant and Ohm's Law says with constant voltage, if resistance goes down, current goes up. And when current goes up in a circuit, so does heat (that's how a fuse, or fusible link "blows").

But again, while possible, it is not likely two different monitors would suddenly develop such similar overheating issues at the same time. So I am still inclined to believe nothing is amiss here. I guess I should add that I am assuming proper voltages at your wall outlet. This again, is something a UPS LCD monitoring panel or UPS monitoring software can safely tell you. So can a multimeter - just don't turn into a crispy critter sticking two highly conductive meter probes into a live outlet. That'll really stink up the room. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds