Leaving a domain

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Old Salt, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Old Salt

Old Salt Private E-2

I am not much for client server networking or domains but I am trying to take an XP pro computer that someone brought home from a business. He has to hit control/alt/del to then enter his password.
    I want to get rid of that and just have him join a home workgroup.
    Under user accounts advanced is a setting for requiring the Control/alt/del. If I uncheck that and just go to computer name and change from a domain to a work group will I get locked out or should I just be able to log on?
    I had a bad experience on this once and am gun shy to try it again. Is there a trick?

2. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

1. Make sure you have a local account as administrator, if you delete the domain you can't access any longer in domain accounts. So the best way is make an account with administrator rights.

2. If you leave the domain you will not need to press ctrl-alt-supr to type your user and password.

3. To quit the domain, you could right click on My PC > Propierties > Computer Name, and select home Workgroup, after that reboot and that's all.

The best way to test if your new or old local accounts is enabled is to start selecting "COMPUTERNAME "This Computer"" in the logon when you type user and password instead of the domain name.

I hope you acn understand.

3. Old Salt

Old Salt Private E-2

I went and uninstalled netware protocols and then was able to switch to the standard welcome screen and set up a work group. I renamed the puter and rebooted and it worked. It is that Novelle protocol that I forgot about.

Thanks for reply

OS

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds