lenovo 3000 n100 xp install - keyboard not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starrekin61, Oct 18, 2011.

1. starrekin61

starrekin61 Private E-2

Hi. I was just given a Lenovo 3000 n100 (prod. i.d.# - 97684JU) laptop that had crashed. If I can fix it, it's mine. Yay!

Problem: Keyboard does not work. It has a fresh install of XP with Service pack 2 - which I believe was taken off a disk labelled XP Pro Svc pk 2, w/sata drivers for gateway - key preloaded - which was in dvd drive.

In device manager under other devices there is a list of devices marked as uninstalled drivers -
    3 base system devices,
    fingerprint sensor,
    foxconn bluetooth 2.0 plus EDR,
    Network Controller
    PCI Device
    SM Bus Controller
    Video Controller
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

The registered to in properties of My Computer has all the symbols for two lines. I have figured by trial and error that the keyboard is not working. USB keyboard and mouse do work.

I have a XP Pro cd, version 2002, unopened that I can use to reinstall the operating system.

Have read the previous threads here with problem similar to mine about drivers to install for networking and bluetooth.

My question: should I download all Lenovo drivers to a flash drive, and do I need anything special during install?

will computer recognize usb keyboard and mouse if i am formatting and reinstalling opsys?

I am thinking that maybe with the disk they used that may be the reason why the keyboard does not work.

thanks for the help here.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I can't seem to find that model on Lenovo site. Does the label on the bottom describe it as 3000 n100 9768-4ju or are you putting those numbers together from different places on the laptop? Do you have a link to the drivers?

One thought is since you have a semi-XP install is try the drivers from Lenovo on the flash drive and see how they work on the current install. You can always do a fresh install from your XP disc once you see how the drivers work.

It is also possible that the keyboard connection has come loose but I'd like to see the list of available drivers to check if the keyboard has a separate driver.

3. starrekin61

starrekin61 Private E-2

Hi Sach 2. The model number is from different spots on system. /The label is worn off where it states the exact one. Yeah, there's a product id: 07684JU.

The Lenovo site has a listing of drivers, but, I can't find all the ones that I need.

Will try the install of the ones I can find on the flash drive. thanks.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. starrekin61

starrekin61 Private E-2

the BIOS has the updated version (2.06) - I was able to enter it with the wireless keyboard. But it skipped around on the tabs and such, so I exited. Am installing the drivers now. will let you know how it goes. thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds