Lexplore has caused an error in CAKE SKIP.exe in MS Win ME

Discussion in 'Software' started by lochgreen29, Jul 31, 2004.

1. lochgreen29

lochgreen29 Private E-2

I am having stability problems with my Windows ME
    machine. It sometimes needs to be restarted 3 or four
    times before it boots up properly and most recently, even
    when loading correctly, frequently displays the message:

Lexplore has caused an error in CAKE SKIP.exe. Lexplore
    will now close.

This message can be displayed several times whilst the PC runs ok. Eventually, the PC either reboots itself, blue screens or hangs.

This latest problem came after installing new USB drivers
    (which I subsequently deinstalled).

I have downloaded all available MS Win ME patches from Microsoft. I have run Ad-Aware recently (although the PC is now not stable enough to run Ad-Aware consistently).

The PC is a 1 GHz AMD PC with 512 mb RAM.

Any ideas?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Actually, its iexplore.

Find out where this cake skip.exe is located on your system.

Do a search on it, and make sure you are showing hidden files and folders.

If you don't find it, there is a fair chance that you have the wrong name or a typo in the above name.

3. lochgreen29

lochgreen29 Private E-2

OK.

File is in c:\windows\all users\application data\showthatbikemedia

no idea what this is. Created and last updated 29 July 2004.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sounds like a trojan or some other nasty.

Get Ad Aware from this site, update it, run it.

Then get McAffee Stinger and run it.

If this doesn't cure it, try an online virus scanner, such as http://housecall.antivirus.com.

5. lochgreen29

lochgreen29 Private E-2

Hmm....

Not having a good time here.

Tried to run Ad-ware 6.181 (already installed and up to date). System crashed.

Reloaded and ran in Safe Mode, Got through about 90000 files, found 8 files, then hung. Runtime error 216 at 0052BD9.

Rebooted.

Ran Sophos Anti-Virus (on PC. Up to date). System crashed.

Rebooted.

Won't reboot properly. Errors are random and inconsistent, but include Sophos Intercheck returned unexpected windows errorcode d/.

Currently can't get PC stable enough to get on line (using different PC to talk to you).

Will keep trying.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, this is where I gotta step out.

I don't have enough experience with Windows ME to get it stable enough to fix this.

7. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

I run winME. As a matter of course I always disable system restore prior to trying to do the work that you are doing. Any nasty that gets in your machine may very well be "stored" in system restore and re-installs itself at boot. Also, have you tried to do all of these tests in SAFE MODE? Do so, it may make a difference. Good luck. BTW, Adryn's suggestion of housecall trend micro was a VERY good one. I did not see in your reply that you had done so. :D

8. lochgreen29

lochgreen29 Private E-2

Thanks for this.

I have tried both in Safe mode and in normal mode. Things are so unstable and unpredictable that I don't get a good run at anything.

That said, I have attempted to run Ad-aware about 10 times. On the tenth time, it ran all the way through. It picked up 25 objects, but they wer eall just data miners. I deleted them. Didn't help.

I have not yet had a full Sophos run. I will try the housecall antivirus stuff.

System restore is off.

I am beginning to wonder if I might have to format the hard disk and start over (not that I can find my WinME discs....).

Thanks for the reply.

9. lochgreen29

lochgreen29 Private E-2

Re: Iexplore has caused an error in CAKE SKIP.exec in MS Win ME

Update for anyone interested.....

I seem to have found at least part of my problem. CAKE SKIP.exec is in a new directory, c:\...\bikemediawinlink. I used MSCONFIG to see if it had been added to my startup file. It had. I removed it form the startup file and that particular error has gone away.

It turns out that the PC now freezes or blue screens after being on for between 5 and 15 minutes. This suggests something else is lurking.

I have tried to run Sops Anti virus. The best I got was 99% through, only picking up a couple of virus fragments in my mailbox. Nothing else turned up.

I have being trying to run http:/housecall.antivirus.com last night and today without success. When I try to run it, I get an error "trend active update did not update successfully. It may result from busy server or bad network traffic". I will leave it another day and try again.

10. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

try a program called hijackthis just search it on google, picks up alot of stuff you can then delete. Very good program I use it all th time for clients for work. If you dont know what to delete just save the log and email it to me ill let you know.

11. lochgreen29

lochgreen29 Private E-2

OK, ran HIJACKTHIS. Don't fancy random deletions.

[EDIT] HJT Log Removed [/EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2004

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds