LG DVD writer locks up my system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foreverice, Mar 26, 2007.

1. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

I just bought a light scribe dvd writer from Frys electronics back in February. It was at a pretty good price might I add. Although I never use light scribe, it had more features then the sony I was about to buy and was cheaper too.

So about a week ago I was trying to install a router and inserted the setup disk. Turns out the router was ready to go from the last system I had it setup with, firmware and everything was already up to date, regardless of that I proceeded to set it up anyway with the installation disk. So I inserted the disk and it starts to read it. The light flashes and then about 15 sec later I cant move my mouse, I cant bring up the task manager, I cant do nothing. I simply have to hit the reset button.

LG has its own update manager. It has updated the latest driver. What the update manager did not do is let me know that when updating there can be no more drives hooked to the same IDE cable. I just put in my other CD drive so that my system could read disks when I need it too. I think I did this after it updated last. It's updated to version 1.02.

So the drive will read audio CDs, it will read a DVD I believe (stuck a blank one in there the other day), it will not read install CDs, and it will burn CDs. It locked up when I stuck a 48x burned mp3 CD in there today.

Anyone got any ideas?

Intel P4 3.0Ghz
    ECS P4800pro MB
    1GB Ram
    160 GB Hitachi HD
    4 GB Western Digital HD
    LG GSA-H22L 18x Super Multi DVD rewriter
    Memorex 52 MAXX CD R/RW

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would uninstall the router, as the driver is probably corrupted, then check the lightscribe drive. If it is then working, try reconnecting the router, and not putting its driver on,.See if it works. If the router works, then don't reinstall driver, but check if lightscribe is working. If it is working, then update the router driver from devices, router, update driver, and put cd with driver into drive, and brouse to it.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It is possible, otherwise that the firmware update is corrupted, and you can try going to the site, and seeing if it can update , again, but, firmware can kill a dvd, if it gets corrupted - hopefully yours is still o.k, as it does write.
    It may correct it.

4. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

My router works fine. Every time I stick a CD or DVD in the LG drive it locks up windows.

5. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

Does the router effect my drive in some way?

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As I understood your post, you were installing it , and the system crashed, or, froze.
    Then the dvd would not work, properly.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You often get this if you install more than one CD/DVD writer program from different sources. Sometimes you can't even install the second one.

What programs are you running assocaited with cd/DVD writing, both the ISO and packet switching ones?

Studio T

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Studiot is explaining, writing software can mess up cd/dvd drives - there are several previous posts, of problems after installing, / uninstalling.
    Also some writing software will make the system freeze when a cd/dvd is inserted with a different writing software, and if you eject the disk, the ststem sometimes will just have the wallpaper, and then return to normal.
    I suggest the burning software you, or, someone else used for the mp3 is doing this. your

9. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

The software that came with the DVD writer is Nero. I already had Nero express installed previously when I bought my CD-R/RW Drive the Memorex.

I installed what came with the LG DVD writer as well.

Any install disk I place in the drive will lock up the system.

Now that I think of it, I did have a successful install disk run which was a Modem Install disk, this happened when I uninstalled the device (LG) and rebooted. After I rebooted windows installed the device again and the CD ran fine. The next day when I started up my system again after being shut off for the night the drive proceeded to not read disks and lock up everything.

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It is possible the updated Nero, is causing a problem, and this is sometimes because of the older version not being removed first, or, incompletely removed.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you start up in safe mode,go to start run, and type in
    sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc)
    and put your XP disc, Windows will replace any corrupted protected files, and it is possible that this will fix it, because the drive is working, although not completely correctly.

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Ishould have told you,You will have to click retry several times as it looks for the files, and it can be slow going.

13. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

I went and uninstalled nero. Everything works fine with the drive now for some reason. Reads anything I put into it now.

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The writing software - as we said, can cause all sorts of problems, pleased to see your problem solved

15. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Thanks for finishing the thread answer, BAK you certainly nailed it.

Studio T

16. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Studiot, I misread the original posting, and thought that the router was the part that had driver issues.
    You put the matter in the right ballpark.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds