Lg Dvd Writer Problems!!! Two Identical Dvd Writers. One Working, One Not!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Jun 26, 2006.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT... So I have'nt been on here for a while. IGNORE THE PREVIOUS POST I MADE A LONG TIME AGO ABOVE! I've been busy working at my new job. Hours are 5am to 11pm.

Yes hectic I know.

WEll here comes a new serious question...

Please respond as I will be working very much of this week. So I probably won't be able to reply for a bit.

Well I just bought a new "LG DVD Writer" optical drive to go with the same model of the same one I bought a few months ago... Here is the link to the drive:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010190&cid=CR.184

I bought the exact one a few months ago. So with my recent pay at my new job I bought one to match. Before I just had the LG and an old cd-rom drive that dates back to like 1999. LOL!

Anyways the drives were positioned like this in my pc before I bought the LG to match:

1. The CD Rom drive jumper was set to master, and it was plugged in using the end of the ribbon.

2. The LG Drive (which is the same model as the new I bought) had its jumper set to slave. And it was placed on the middle of the ribbon.

Well now this weekend I bought another LG dvd writer drive to match. & had everything set the same way except the old cd-rom drive was taken out, and I replaced it with the new matching LG dvd writer. Jumpers and ribbon were set the same way.

The problem I am having?

Well when I insert certain media into the new drive it doesnt ask me what to do with the disc with the prompt that win xp does with any optical drive.
    As in asking you what to do with the disc as (ie: open folder, play disc, write to disc, etc). I tired putting in blank dvds, blank cds, etc. & it wont work. It wont even read them. It will show an icon in "my computer" showing that there is a disc in there. But as for prompt, or "details" of the media (ie: mb/gb size) in "my computer", that doesnt show either. If I try to click on the drive with a disc in it windows makes a message that says "drive is inaccessible". I tried blank dvd, cds, cdrws, etc. Nothing automatically gets prompted when you insert a disc. Yes the properties are set the same way as the first LG drive I bought which is of the same model. So its probablly not that. Only disc that works in it is audio cds from record stores, and with those it properly prompts me asking me what to do with it. So something is wrong. All media works in the first LG drive I bought months ago which is the same model... so I dunno. Today I took the drive back to the store and exchanged it with the same one. I put it in my system and its doing the same thing again.

Funny cuz even the old cdrom drive I had there before prompted me with what to do with the disc. and showed me details of the disc in "my computer". I dunno what it could be. I have an "HP Vectra VL400" for those of you who forgot!

It cant be the drive cuz its doing the same thing, and I just exchanged it with another one at the store. Same brand. So now I have two LG drives that are identical in my case. One works fine, and the other isnt. They are the same model. What could it be?????? This is stopping me from burning media with the new LG one, and playing discs, or reading discs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What a pain.

Even the old cd-rom drive worked fine like the first LG i bought.

HELP.

I have to sleep.. I have work at 5am. See you later...

P.s. Whats up? Take it easy guys. Stop working too hard! Hope yall respond.. Maybe I have a bios problem. Or I have to uninstall all the software that came with the first LG Drive I bought months ago and re-install it. I forgot to mention the first lg drive i bought came with a free software disc. That drive was also manufactured at a previous date. the software was just nero, and some other junk to watch movies. No driver stuff from what I know. The new Lg drive that I just bought is identical to the first, but it comes with a newer version of the free software cd, and the drive date is manufactured at a more recent date. But the cd with the newer manufactured lg drive seems to have the same ole programs, I don't read any driver stuff on it etc. Why would a dvd writer bring drivers anyway? Dam thing gets me mad. Just when I thought I had a perfect system!!!!

This post has been edited by superstar: Yesterday, 10:07 PM

--------------------

HP Vectra VL400
    P3 Socket 370 (800MHZ)
    512MB PC133 Infineon Sdram
    80GB Western Digital IDE Hard Drive
    10GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive
    LG Dual Layer DVD-RAM +/-/R/RW
    Windows Xp Home w/Service Pack 2
    ATI Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB 128Bit AGP4X V+D+T
    HP Ultra VGA 1280 17'' CRT Monitor
    Deer 450 Watt PSU w/20/24 Pin Connector
    Mad Catz Analog Joystick USB Pc Controller
    Mutant Mods Acrylic Atx/Micro Atx Case

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

first rom should be master, second rom should be set to cable select. ed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds