LG super multi DVD won't see DVD in drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlapolla, Nov 30, 2007.

1. jlapolla

jlapolla Private E-2

I am trying to get a new LG super multi DVD to work, but it will not recognize a DVD in the drive.

Running WinXP Home, SP2 in a custom built P4 2.0 GHz, ASUS P48 board, 1GB RAM. Using board's integral video.

All Windows updates are up to date. System seems to be clean (now) and running OK.

Installed software from supplied LG CD. PowerDVD, and PowerProducer.
    DVD is on secondary IDE as a Slave [Drive E: ], jumper select. CD ROM is on as Master [Drive D: ], jumper select. I've tried reversing, and using Cable Select jumper. Also replaced 40 conductor IDE cable with an 80 conductor cable.

Hardware Manager says the drive is operating OK, with no errors.

The drive runs, and will play a music CD just fine through the PowerDVD program.

When I put in a DVD it its says No Disk in Drive E:

Suggestions?

thanks,
    John

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Check to see that DMA is active on the drive (part of properties). Has to be check, or the DVD won't work.

3. jlapolla

jlapolla Private E-2

Checked the IDE Properties. DMA was already selected for this drive. PIO was set for the other, so I changed that. Made no difference.

I'm stumped. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    John

4. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

It's probably as simple as the drive being defective out of the box, Sounds like the laser that reads cd's is fine and the one that reads dvd's is not working.....

5. jlapolla

jlapolla Private E-2

I Just want to thank all those who offered help. I picked up a replacement drive today, dropped it in and everything worked fine right off the bat!

Can only chalk it up to (as LC said) it being a defective drive right from the box.

btw... I called LG Service twice on this, and can only say that I was VERY impressed. The computer products techs are a small group located in Huntsville, AL, USA. Three menu steps to get to them, answered on the second ring, helpful suggestions, and I'm pretty certain I would have gotten a replacement drive shipped to me if I hadn't opted to pick one up from Best Buy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds