lga 1156 mobo compatible with lga 1155

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mdmckee, Mar 17, 2011.

1. mdmckee

mdmckee Private E-2

i am doing a project with a virtual computer build and it needs to work in theory.
    i have a mobo with lga1156 and a processor with lga 1155
    i want to make sure before i go and change it all around because we have to be $15 within the given budget and im 18 cents over :)
    i may need a site that shows it
    if anyone can help that would give me an A on the project and i would owe a great debt of thanks to yinz.

TIA,

matt

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

LGA 1155 is not compatible with 1156 as 1155 processors have advanced hardware built into them that is built into the 1156 board. Therefore an 1155 processor would not boot on an 1156 board nor the other way around.

3. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

above is correct, the CPU is not compatible, the only thing that would be able to be used on either would be the cpu cooler as I believe the bolt pattern is the same for 1156 and 1155

4. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Correct, as well as 9 times out of 10 the memory.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Possibly best described with some pics the 1155 pin array is significantly different from the 1156 array, basically it will not physically fit and would just bend and or break a lot of the pins:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds