Life after ZoneAlarm - Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Momster, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Momster

Momster Private E-2

After years and years of being faithful freeloaders, we're leaving ZoneAlarm and are not recommending them anymore, either. The new version doesn't even give you the ability to stop (lock) internet activity and the icon doesn't show traffic anymore. Boo-hoo, I know, but those were two of the features we "used" the most! (Yeah, yeah... why do we use/need them? I dunno...we just do!) :-D Maybe we are just paranoid.

Now that ZoneAlarm has Netflixed it (not that they were really all that great before from what I've heard), can anybody suggest a good firewall (preferably free but not a sticking point) and also maybe a program or two that can give us control/monitoring of our internet as well?

Thanks (very much!!!) in advance.
    Tina

2. mimon

mimon Private E-2

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Attached Files:

4. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

+ 1
    Comodo tray icon shows if there is traffic and you can launch the UI to see all inbound and outbound connections.
    "Stop All Traffic" does just that.

5. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

At home I use the free ZoneAlarm firewall and Avira Antivirus, and the full package (i.e., active scanning) of Iobit Malware Fighter. I also have SpywareBlaster, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (free), and SpyBot (free - using Immunize only) Am I understanding right that this free Comodo Internet Security Suite will perform the functions of ZoneAlarm/Avira/Iobit Malware Fighter?

6. Momster

Momster Private E-2

Wow, wow!
    Thank you, Mimon, Bigbazza, and MadMal. ZA really falls short, doesn't it? Comodo Firewall sounds exactly what I'm looking for so I'll give it a try. The CIS says free, but it's a 30-day trial. Does look very thorough though. Right now I use (purchased) Malwarebytes and Avast but am going to give CIS a shot. Thanks for all the research and links! What an eye-opener!! Will shout back after I play with it.
    Thank you very much!!!

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I am also using Malwarebytes Pro and Avast! Free with Windows XP SP3.

The firewall I've been using is PC Tools Firewall Plus - MG download

There is a tray icon that shows when there is traffic in either direction.
    If you right click the icon, there is a menu for Firewall Mode.
    The choices are:
    • Allow All
    • Ask
    • Block All

Welcome to Firewall Plus User's Guide

Review: PC Tools Firewall Plus
    More detailed review further UP the page. Other firewalls, including Comodo, reviewed here.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

C.I.S. is free AFAIK.

Bazza

9. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

You can have a look at the features of the free version of Comodo Internet Security (CIS) and you will see it states Price: 100% Free
    http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

On the left of the page you will see links to the paid versions of CIS but the main difference is online support, online backup of files, Trust Connect and other services
    Comodo Internet Security Pro 2012
    Comodo Internet Security Complete 2012
    Comodo Internet Security Plus 2012
    Comodo Internet Security Advanced 2012

I guess they are giving you a 30 day trial of the Complete version in case some of the extra features are good for you but if you don't buy you will still have all the features of the free version.

I just use Comodo Firewall with Defense+ and Microsoft Security Essentials, I am happy with that but I have read good reports about the full free CIS.

10. Momster

Momster Private E-2

Ahhh!! I think I found the hitch: The link here at MG is to cispro_30day_installer1528_b3.exe. However, at Comodo's site (link via MadMal), when you click the free version, the installer is named cispremium_installer.exe. (Note: no "30_day" marker). Could that be the diff?

My license info does say "30 days left" so I'll wait and see - but I'm beginning to suspect the link @MG is wrong - that it's to the full-blown 30-day trial instead of the freebie.

So far, I do like it very much - almost makes me want to go look for dangerous territory out on the net just to test it out. heh-heh. I'll just play it safe and rely on BigBazza's results, however.

Will let you know what it does after the 30 days. Thank you again! I really do like it and never would have tried it. I guess ZA actually did me a BIG favor by Netflixing it!!!! :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds