Life With Win 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I keep all of my personal files on my 'main' PC, a Win 10 system, and access them over the LAN from the other machines. This means I can be sure there is only one version of each file. It's always worked fine but this morning I discovered that I could only open my files in Read Only mode. It took an hour or two to get to the bottom of it but it turns out that an update had changed the advanced network settings to require a password and that permissions for shared folders had been changed to allow read only access over the LAN. As I'm using a Homegroup the advanced network settings shouldn't even have come into the equation.

I had expected problems after moving the main system to 10 and there have, thankfully, been far fewer than I expected, but if you upgrade a system on your LAN to Win 10 don't be surprised if you run into a few issues accessing it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds