lilo removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomkrezel, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomkrezel

tomkrezel Private E-2

i was wondering if somebody could walk me through the removal of the lilo boot loader that was installed with the mandrake system that i have been experimenting with for the last two months.i dont care for linux all that much(maybe i just dont have the right computer skills or background) and i would like to remove lilo. i have a dell demension 4550 ,2.4 ghz, 1 gb ram , western dig. (60gb) master,seagate (160gb) slave, win xp home os.i know that the procedure involves using the install disc and some commands for the mbr but i'm really leary of messing up the boot process. thanks so much .

2. likeautumn

likeautumn Private E-2

Is Mandrake still installed?

If not, boot to DOS and type fdisk /mbr

3. tomkrezel

tomkrezel Private E-2

thanks for the reply likeautumn, but when i type fdisk/mbr as a command prompt i get a message that tells me fdisk/mbr is not an internal or external command,operable system, or batch file. did i do something wrong?

4. likeautumn

likeautumn Private E-2

My guess is that you are trying to do this from a command prompt within Windows. You have to boot into dos from a floppy with fdisk.exe. Try http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and click the DOS 6.22 link. Format a floppy and run this program and you will have said boot disk. Reboot and type fdisk /mbr (make sure you get the space before /) at the command prompt.

5. tomkrezel

tomkrezel Private E-2

thanks alot for the response and info on fdisk/mbr.i'm going to try it out right now.

6. Cisco702300

Cisco702300 Private E-2

dude i have this exact same problem, only somewhere i messed upin setting the root password so i cant get in, lol. but one question. ok, my linux in on a second HD, when i remove the HD the pc dosent boot, prints 40 a bunch of tiems on the screen at boot. how do i go about removing the lilo and linux from the drive? same way?

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Please start a new thread instead of digging up old ones. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds