Limited resolution options after using driver sweeper and installing new drivers.

Discussion in 'Software' started by TalahRama, Aug 21, 2009.

1. TalahRama

TalahRama Private E-2

I recently installed and used driver sweeper to properly remove my old drivers before I updated. I opened the program and checked the "Nvidia - Display" box then hit "Analyze", all boxes we're checked then I selected "Clean" and was prompted to restart to finish.

The computer restarted but locked up as it was loading windows, it then auto restarted again and loaded the safe mode selection screen. So I went in and installed the newest official Nvida drivers for my card while in safe mode, accepted the auto restart and windows loaded up.

Once in windows I immediately noticed the terrible video settings, it was set at 640x480 at 4bit color if I remember correctly, so I went in to my "Display properties/settings" tab to manually up the res and color quality but it wouldn't let me change anything. I then decided to reinstall the video drivers and restart my computer. It loaded up and seemed normal, or so I thought.

It was set at a default 1024x768 so I went in to display again to manually change it but 1024x768 was the highest in the list. So I went in the Nvidia control panel to see if I could fix it there. But it only had around 5 supported resolutions, the highest being a bizarre 1152x864. So I checked online for a fix and found I could create custom resolutions in the control panel, So I did.

I made one for 1280x960 at 60hz, hit apply and thought I had won the day. Then I loaded up Oblivion and went to set my game resolution to 1280x960 to match my desktop but it wasn't there. Only had 640, 800, 1024 and that damn 1152x864. I thought it might have been the game so I loaded up my N64 emulator as a control (before I used sweeper and changed drivers it was set at 1280x960). Low and behold 1280 was no longer an option, the highest being... you guessed it 1152. This story ends with me writing this post to you guys.

Final thoughts: In my opinion I think driver sweeper deleted something important that was never replaced after I installed the new drivers. I also noticed in my device manager no monitor group after running sweeper. So for a while there I though my monitor was the problem. But as I looked around all I saw was monitors are plug and play and wouldn't cause this. And eventually the monitor group was there with my Dell E773c in the list. But that's just an opinion, if I knew what I was talking about I wouldn't be here needing you guys now would I?

Attached Everest log to aid in this (Had to trim it from 255kb to meet the max upload, if it's missing anything you need tell me and I'll re-up the missing info).

Thanks to anyone who can help, I'm all out of options on how to fix this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Boot in Normal Mode. Even if the color/resolution settings are messed up, let it boot in Normal Mode. Leave your current drivers alone and install this driver. It should install OK. Restart the PC when prompted. That should do it!
    :-D

3. TalahRama

TalahRama Private E-2

Those the the drivers I have installed now. That's why I don't understand what's causing this. I did just remember something though, when I thought it might be my monitor I went to the dell site and got some E773c drivers and tried to get them to work. That might also be what's doing it. But I have no idea how to fix it if they are.

Thanks for the idea and the quick response though : )

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK.... boot in Normal Mode and uninstall the current driver. Before rebooting, go to C:\NVIDIA and delete the NVidia folder. If you are stopped from deleting the folder, boot in safe mode and uninstall the driver and/or remove the NVidia folder. Reboot in Normal Mode and cancel the Hardware Wizard if/when it starts. Then re-install the driver I linked to above. I think the problem you had was installing the driver in safe mode. Drivers (esp video drivers) should always be installed in Normal Mode.

(. . . and I forgot to welcome you to Major Geeks! :wave :major )

5. TalahRama

TalahRama Private E-2

Okay I'll try that and post the results. Thanks for the warm welcome : )

6. TalahRama

TalahRama Private E-2

Okay it's fixed, I was just messing around with some ideas and got it working. Apparently it was the monitor drivers that messed it up. I just tried to uninstall the monitor from the device manager and then use the default pnp driver and that did the trick. Thanks for the speedy replies and ideas though. Let's hope I don't ruin my comp with my n00bness anymore in the near future : )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds