Links in e-mail won't work

Discussion in 'Software' started by abern01, Sep 24, 2004.

1. abern01

abern01 Private First Class

I recently downloaded an MS Office update and shortly after I started to notice weird problems. In MS Outlook, when I receive any e-mails with links in them, they don't work any more. I get a message saying: "Path www.whatever.com does not exist or is not a directory." Yet if I copy / paste the link in my browser it works OK.
    This used to work fine before. I even clicked on links from old e-mails that I know worked in the past...they no longer work either. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening or how to fix it?

Windows XP Home
    SP 2
    MS Office 2003
    IE 6
    MS Outlook

By the way: anti virus is up to date, Trend Micro and AVG do not detect any virus or Trojans. Ad Aware and Spybot don't show any spy ware.
    The other weird problem I had was, MSN all of a sudden was unable to load as my home page. Regardless of what I did, MSN refused to work. I could load any other home page just fine. My other user setting on the same computer worked OK with MSN. After 2 days it just fixed itself and MSN loads as the home page again...very strange!

Thanks in advance!

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to:

My Computer, tools, folder options, file types tab.

Locate Internet Shortcut, click on advanced.

Delete the extraneous command listed (its probably leftovers of MyIE2).
    Set the correct command, to default.

Make sure it points to your correct browser.

Firefox used to have a bug like this too.

Or maybe still does?

3. abern01

Ooooo...you're sharp! I forgot that when MSN wouldn't work I tried MYIE2. I guess when I removed it, some of it stayed behind.
    Anyway, I followed your instructions and when I got to: Internet shortcut, I clicked on advanced and removed MYIE2.
    There are 3 actions left in the window: OPEN, PRINT and PRINTTO.

Do I click on OPEN and click that as the default? What is the correct command?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That is correct. Set open to default.

5. abern01

OK...I made OPEN the default. Closed it out. I still have the same problem. Links in my e-mails won't open.
    Any other suggestions?

6. abern01

I used the System Restore and set the computer back to Wenesday, prior to MYIE2 install.
    Everything works fine now!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad it worked out.

Wonder if the Open was modified to point at My IE2?

Either way, its all better :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds