linksys password recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcrampage, Oct 15, 2008.

1. pcrampage

pcrampage Private First Class

..so i installed a router and just days later i completely forgot the password...which is a problem i think...and no make matters worse theres never been a user name ..i was never allowed to enter one nor was that part filled in automaticly over the course of setup...so how do i just scrape it all and start over ..the linksysy software is as a virus ...i can't find it anywhere no software uninstall feature either..i've never delt with this type of product befor....i use vista 34 bit and the newest linksys g wireless unit ..not using wireless i have cable..thanks for any help...

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

There should be a small reset button on the back panel of the router. Press and hold for 30 seconds to reset to factory default settings.
    Remove software through Add/Remove Programs.

3. pcrampage

pcrampage Private First Class

as i explained i looked for the files..they don't seem to exist or maybe vista has hidden them from me..?

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Chances are the password will either be blank or 'admin' (without the quotation marks). There will probably be no user name either.
    With regards to the software removal, give Your Uninstaller a go.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think the default is User: admin
    Password: password

Have you tried to press the reset button (Use a paperclip). Does your router have one?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Put a paperclip into the reset button to return it to the default.
    What is the make and model of router? Each manufacturer uses a different username/password combo but what the defaults are is found easily on the internet if you know the make and model.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds