Linksys rounter password help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ValRvd, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ValRvd

ValRvd Private E-2

My brothers have a linksys router running wireless through the house but they believe someone is stealing their wireless so i was going to put a password on it. Can anyone tell me a quick easy way to set one up?

Thanks,

Val

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You need to access the router by using the browser on your computer. Typt in http://192.168.1.1 and hit enter. A small window will appear. Leave the user blank and the default password is "admin" without the quotes.

Look around in there for the password and change it to whatever you want. I would also recommend setting up MAC address Filtering. That would be under the wireless tab. Also change the channel. Most routers are set to default to channel 6 so if you get too many in the same area they will interfer with each other. I usually change the channel to 10 or 11.

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Changing the password to get into the router or wireless access point's setup will not prevent unauthorized usage.

You can either use WEP to secure the wireless from unauthorized access and set up keys on each authorized machine, OR you can simply set it to only allow access from the MAC addresses of the computers you choose.

To find out the MAC address of the wireless card in each computer, under WinXP, press Start -> Run -> type in "cmd" (without quotes) and hit Enter. A command prompt window will open. At the prompt type "ipconfig -all" (again, no quotes) and hit Enter. You should see a listing of your network interface devices-- the wireless one should be obvious. The MAC address is a sequence that looks like 00 99 7A 63 6B 33. Type exit to quit the window.

There should be a place in the wireless access point or wireless router's setup that you can choose to only Allow certain access based upon MAC address.

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

WEP is good if you have large security concerns but it does slow the connection a little. I usually just use MAC filtering unless I know someone is accessing it without my permission.

If you live in an apartment complex, WEP might be a good thing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds