linksys router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ericnumnutz, Jul 20, 2007.

1. ericnumnutz

ericnumnutz Private E-2

HI

I have a wireless G 4 port router with an ftp server running windows server 2003 connected to port 1

when trying to access my ftp site at home my speed is great. when trying to access my ftp site outside i am only getting 30kbs

my max upload speed is something like 386kbs. when i bypass the router and connect my ftp server directly to the modem offsite my spped jumps to over 200kbs

is there something i am missing in the config of the router. I set port forwarding up is there something else I can do or do I need a better router? any help would be great. thanks

Eric

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

What model wireless router ?(is G 4 the model?).
    Did you get an install CD with it?
    Have you visited the manufacturer's website and downloaded a manual, if you don't already have one?

How far are you from your ISP? What Broadband plan? ADSL, ADSL 2+, Cable?

Be careful with expressing speeds. Some say KB/s, kB/s, kbps. I guess you are trying to indicate KB/s. 30KB/s (=30 kB/s) is seriously slow as you know.

Check out the manual and CD, and maybe re-install again.
    Come back if things don't improve and I will post some Broadband test sites.

Hopefully someone far more expert than I (wouldn't be hard as I am new to Broadband and still tweaking :D ), on Broadband and servers, etc., will reply to you here. Bazza

===

3. ericnumnutz

ericnumnutz Private E-2

I never used cd to install but I did download the latest firmware and that is when my upload speed increased while at home but my upload speed offsite starts around 100 kbs the drops to 30 in about 10seconds when the router is connected. With the router disconnected I am getting 200 plus

I have run speed test with dslreports and my upload speed is around 260

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I'd suggest setting the router back to the defaults (usually inserting a paperclip into a hole at the back of the router, and holding it in for about 10 seconds), then re-install using the CD. Firmware burn shouldn't affect this, I hope. Or contact the manufacturer, and/or ISP provider for help, in the first instance, before re-setting back to the defaults. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds