linksys wap54g wireless router config?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by burnme, Jul 27, 2004.

1. burnme

burnme Private E-2

Hi I am having a configuration problem with my wap54g wireless G router.

Uplink is connected to Comcast dhcp cable inet service.

There are 2 pc's with linksys wireless cards in them. I set the router up from the cd and it's ip is 192.168.1.245 subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway is 192.168.1.1 all defaults.

Both computers are set up for dhcp.

One pc gets the ip from cable (24.*.*.*)

The other pc gets nothing from the router.

The pc that can access the inet can't access the router through the web based utility @ http://192.168.1.245/

This seems really screwy to me but I hope somone can help...

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

I am not clear why your system works at all.

One PC on the Modem and One on a Router?

The PC on the modem get the External IP from the ISP (24.xxx.xxx.xxxx) it is the same subnet as the private IPs 192.168.xxx.xxx so they can not talk.

Your Router is probably getting No input because of the other computer that is on the Modem (unless you have two IP accounts).

Usually a connection goes this way: Diagram of Broadband Connection with Cable/DSL Router.

About IPs : What is My IP?

Link to: How to use IPCONFIG?

:cool:

3. burnme

burnme Private E-2

I think the problem may be that I have a wireless access point and not a wireless router.

"One PC on the Modem and One on a Router?"

the connection goes:

cable modem------>access point

and I have wireless cards in both of the pc's.

Do I need a router still?

can I plug the cable into the uplink on the old cat5 router and and then go from the cat5 router to the access point?

I guess that way the router would use the cable ip but release many ip's to all the computers in the house?

Thanks for the help....

4. SiLenZe

SiLenZe Private First Class

yes you still need a router. the part number is for a access point not a router.

plug the uplink on the access point to a regular port on the router.
    the uplink port on your router gets plugged into the cable modem.

5. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

my set up is direct,,,my modem feeds my wirelss router,,,I can plug them in or strictly stay wirless on both laptop pc's ,,,IP # should be sequential,,, IE 254(2) 245(3) etc the router provides the DNS for each access...also on the router I have a desktop in a rj45 lan port on the router,,,,,make sure all settings on pc that wont pull the IP are the same as on the one that will,,,,,may find a discrepency....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds