Linksys Wireless G Router LAN Connectivity Problems:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imhangen, Jun 13, 2005.

1. imhangen

imhangen Private E-2

I will try and keep this short.

Installed a linksys wireless router per directions, then installed the network printer as it should be using the ip address. I then started adding the two other machines to the network. I got them set up to print to this network printer and then finally was able to get them all “talking” to one another. Each machine was able to access the other and print.

I then installed the Norton Internet Security 2004 and received all of the updates on the MAIN computer. All looked great but this machine no longer had access to the workgroup. It could still access the internet but not the workgroup. I worked on this for a long time, I disabled everything in Norton Security rebooted and after much time was able to get all the machines communicating with each other again and all were printing. I left it like that and went in to check this AM.

The main computer was printing fine for awhile but then quit printing to the printer. This machine no longer can access the LAN but can access the internet. No changes were made in the process. When attempting to access the workgroup a message is received that the workgroup in inaccessible at this time. The other two machines are able to access the printer.

All machines are running winxp.

2. imhangen

imhangen Private E-2

I forgot to mention this machine is still on SP1.

3. residentbull

residentbull Private E-2

If I understand you correctly, the computer that does not access the network resources has Norton Antivirus on it?
    If so, try this:
    Click on the norton icon on your taskbar at the base of your screen. (Or click on START then ALL PROGRAMS then NORTON.
    Go to to OPTIONS, then go to click on SYSTEM, then click on MANUAL SCAN.
    Under MANNUAL SCAN click on EXCLUSIONS, then on the open window click on NEW and add the shared folders of the other computers and the printer and IP addresses if necessary...

good luck!

4. imhangen

imhangen Private E-2

Correct, the computer in question has Norton Internet Security which includes the Antivirus. Will try this and let you know.

5. imhangen

imhangen Private E-2

The MAIN pc is the one that was unable to access the workgroup. Everyone else was ok. I checked in Norton Antivirus and all was ok. I went to the Security then into the Firewall and then Networking. I added the IP range for this network to the Trusted list. I then signed onto the Linksys site for the router and increased the days of the lease from 0 to 20. All machines were working for over three hours last night with no problems. I am going into to check on them this morning. I will let you know. I did notice that when the virus scan ran there were a lot of adware. I had to go in and manually remove gator and SAHAgent. But during the whole process the machine was connecting fine to the workgroup. Will keep you posted.

6. imhangen

imhangen Private E-2

I believe this problem has been resolved. I think it was a combination of several problems, from adware and viruses to the # of days for the lease. Thanks again for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds