Linksys Wireless Router Keeps Cutting Off

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alvan9, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Alvan9

Alvan9 Private E-2

I have a new Dell XPS with Vista on it, and a Laptop Dell Inspiron with XP on it. I use a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router (WRT54G) to run my cable internet. If I leave the computer Idle for a while and come back I have to reset (unplug and plug back in) my router. My speed is fine when its connected, but I'm finding more and more I have to get up and reset the router.

The cable comes in to the modem, out the modem and into the router, and out the router into my XPS. My Laptop is just run Wireless so no actual physical connection. I tried to install the linksys disk I got with the thing, but it is for XP, and I'm afraid it will screw something up.

Anybody have a clue on how to fix this.

By the way, I only use the router for Internet, not to transfer or share files. Internet Only, thanks in advance.

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Do both the wireless and the wired connection cut out, or is it just the wireless that drops?

3. Bambo

Bambo Private First Class

I just had some reset hell with a WRT54GS - turned out a firmware upgrade fixed it. New version actually stated "increased compatibility with bittorrent". Older router from Netgear got same fix though with a not yet released beta. No more disconnects/resets - with the Netgear it mostly happend on secure sites btw, like Firefox add-on.

Anyway, be careful with these upgrades - find out version and serial number to match download from Linksys. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G#WRT54G You see that at back or bottom of router. Even more important if you get interested in the "third party firmware" section of this article. Also you should flash from the connected computer, never the wireless. Rest is painless setup. http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...rapper&lid=3731439789H29&displaypage=download Seems like most got updates in Februray - read "version info" link, long list of "Resolves issues with xxxxx".

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds