Linksys Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Software' started by Major Attitude, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

WRT54G, out of the blue, my wife and sons machine just stop being connected. Went through their support page, tips from setup like different channels, new firmware and so on. Got a signal booster tonight and it got worse. My wifes machine, 10 feet away said low signal, worked for a bit then went dead. My sons is a good 2 floors up, 35 feet or so away saying strong signal, but no connection at all. Im very, very close to taking this to the gun range and shooting it. Anyone who knows me knows I am not kidding and pictures will follow...

Unless you can help me, I will post photos of my laser sight on it just before I shoot it into pieces.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

what Wireless version does your wife's NIC support?

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2004
  4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

In other words, put a slug in it for me too :eek:

5. Major Attitude

I dont want to read a whole thread, I have an attention span problem. Anyone have a suggestion. I could go D-Link, always liked them. Any other suggestions anyone has read about or knows from experience would be appreciated.

Ill shoot them up this week and post photos... No, a movie too. It will be fun. Gotta get some more 9mm rounds, only got enough to keep my few clips full right now. Look for it this week.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I had forgotten about Adryn's thread.. remember I told you that Linksys NIC's sucked.. apparently it wasn't limited to their NIC's..

I would suggest the Microsoft M500. I Have seen it in action and used it. It was very nice.

7. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Double check to see if the SSID, Channel, and WEP Key Settings are the same at the router and at the wireless card. My 802.11b version has lost settings once or twice. Don't know how, unless my kids messed them up some how. Also, are you running ZoneAlarm or another firewall (I'm sure you must be but I'll ask anyway). The reason is I have had some issues with not being able to see my Wireless PCs on the network and when I shut down ZoneAlarm I could see them. This is strange since the router firmware I have is 1.45z where the z is supposed to be for ZoneAlarm support.

While I'm not really that happy with LinkSys for several reasons (like idiots in tech support most of whom have a problem speaking and understanding English), my two wireless PCs are 2 floors up from my basement router and they do work. Signal strength varies from 50 to 70% though (typically 58-62).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  8. Major Attitude

SSID, Channel and WEP settings regularly checked and unchanged. Had not checked Zone Alarm, but will, they both have it.

Robo, while I agree, my first gun was a 357 and its mainly for personal protection. What I lack in large bullets is made up for with 17 round magazines. To me they are toys, I own a smaller Taurus 9mm for carry, larger SW9f 9 mm with laser sight for fun and scaring people who trespass and a Ruger 22 with a scope for cheap target shooting. Just a hobby :)

9. billH

billH Master Sergeant

If'fn you want BIG holes go get a gyrojet. Those little dudes leave Meteor Crater size exit wounds.Tnanks for the info. I'm looking to go wireless pretty soon and from what yaw'll say I'll be going with DLink.

10. green_newbie

green_newbie Private First Class

MN500 is what i use not ever a problem, easy to use router config tool
    the only thing that bothers me is the firewall settings on it are
    <on> or <off> and that is it. i like haveing a lot of settings i like to know what is going on with my firewall, on and off just doesn't do it for me

but when you find the router that has more than this on the firewall let me know. cause so far no one has told me of one and i can't get an answere on how to use it on mine.

they do have a port forwarding feature that is probly allot more detail than i can deal with. i use Kerio personal firewall for my software firewall and i like the level of that one fine, but i digress...or something.

anyways i like my MN500 wireless base station
    and if you are ever going to get on XBOX live it is a easy router to use with it
    (microsoft makes both)

11. Major Attitude

If it makes you feel better, Linksys also has two options. On and off for the firewall. From what I am seeing, the newer routers have a lot of great features, too bad they sold so many before improving it, but then again, I guess that applies to everything :)

The new funny is I got a signal booster and now he gets a strong signal... just nothing happens. I truly found that funny. I disabled Zone Alarm, no luck. Linksys is dead.

Kodo, you I remember you telling me that at CompUSA and think you were considering that MS router. Well at least you were right making up for your previous mistake ;)

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

lol.. hey, at least I admitted I was wrong ;)

13. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Consider Netgear, we deploy alot of those through my work. The 108 Mbs has a built in firewall and gets pretty good range, I tested it by walking around our building with a laptop :) its 802.11G

14. Major Attitude

Im glad to admit I am wrong, my wallet is not because if I must replace, I might as well go G. Only 2 things make me feel better. One is Microsofts pricing is much better the LinkSys for the G. The other is that any hardware I have bought, or known anyone to buy, for example joysticks, phone, etc., have all been excellent products.

Ill consider NetGear, but I know Kodo was looking at the MS, so that has me confident and others also like it. I checked some reviews and lets be real, everyone says all these products rock and are the best thing out there. Some reviews are a year old and not updated, you would think they would spend some time with these things. Well, ill let you know later.

15. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

I dont know anything about the microsoft products, I do know im sick of them making some product for every field in the computer industry and I would rather support the other people who arent a globabal takeover monopoly of the computer industry. but thats just opinion they may still make a good product :) I let me feeling get in the way :)

16. Major Attitude

Then ill buy another Linksys, after all CompUSA has a wall lined with them, their salesmen sell them, their website say they rule and so on... I dont care what MS makes, they make a lot of money for their stockholders, Billy donates millions and millions to charities every year and they employ tens of thousands of people, NOT to mention the people like many of us who have jobs because Billys vision is what made computers as huge a market as they are today. Its a good company that makes a lot of people a lot of money, if you hate them based on their size and success then the USofA aint for you. After all, I see your in Detroit, Billy boy could take all his companies and go to Mexico and Canada like the car companies did. That worked out well for Detroit.

17. dbjr77

dbjr77 Private E-2

You might want to consider the Belkin which has a lifetime guarentee. This is the way I went after buying and throwing out 2 Linksys routers right after the warranty expired, because they would not longer talk to my network nor accept a bios flash. I also swapped one out under warranty. The non-wireless router was always rock solid but I don't care for the wireless.

It has been my experience that the belkin has a little shorter range and I think the user interface could be better, but other than that I have had no issues to this point, and if I do I don't have to worry about it being out of warranty.

18. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

I suppose the computer world would not have went anywhere and died without Microsoft. I am trying to say I prefer to help the smaller companies that specialize in one thing not the huge company who does everything and stops other companies from making money. and GOD NO I DONT LIVE IN DETROIT about 30 miles from it. and there is good competition in the car industry and I doubt very many peasants are good at programming so good luck to them going to mexico for cheaper prices.

Without Microsoft we would simply have some other company who is a monopoly I would feel the same about.

Its bad to express opinions it seems tho

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I believe supporting small companies too, IF they produce a better product.

Only if.

20. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

And thats good, and I know Netgear makes a great product and my linksys at home works great and Cisco bought them out so only expect better as they make great routers.

And you may not know the Linksys Router software is under GNU I found out the other day, all free source

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Speaking of monopolies....

Cisco owns Linksys too.

22. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Didnt know Cisco was a Monopoly? I also dont see them taking over the video game industry, Software Industry, Peripheals industry(spelling) or anything else that I know of except networking.

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm done with this stupid conversation seeing the turn it took. Arguing over the internet is retarded and tiring.
    I was just saying Cisco is buying up everyone in the router business, which will make it a monopoly.

24. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

I may not agree with what you say sir! But I will defend to the death your right to say it!!!!

:)

25. Major Attitude

I always go to the small guy when I can, in computers especially, buy locally whenever possible, etc. Your right, there is good competition in cars, the Japs got us licked and have for years. Without them, we would still have the Aries K car and frankly, US cars still pretty much suck for the most part. Would someone else have done it? Dont know, history is hard to guage, lots of people had ideas like Xerox with the mouse and were going to throw it away. You had Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and we all know Steve Jobs would have kept it all priced to high so computer users can look down on everyone else all superior, like Mac users do today, so its debatable. Either way, you went to the extremes on my points, ie using Mexico, when theres a whole world full of countries who would happily take our jobs for less (hmmm, Dell Tech support) and the Us HARDLY has the best programmers out there, so its not worth debating when rather then take what I said , you take a select couple of points and go to the extreme. MS was the small guy, so I guess you support the small guy, until he gets big at which point you dont want to give the big guy too much. I always wonder where hypocrites like that actually decide someones too big and then give money to another startup who will probably fail and leave you in the cold because hes the typical lazy, fat American of today.

Heres the kicker. MS did it again. The router and cards went in and updated flawlessly and my sons signal is stronger then ever.

26. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

glad it worked out for you Major.. I was sold on its' quality after having tested for 3 days while working on a project with my business partner.. solid :)

27. Major Attitude

I was going to go D-Link or Belkin, like I said, I bought based on what people said was good. Had good luck with their joysticks, keyboard, mice and other things, though I often prefer other brands. All the same, its all good now I think..

28. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

if it's all good , then I'm happy :)

29. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Got me on that one :)

Still not a Microsoft tho, thats a FACT.

I wouldnt be so mad if everything by microsoft wasnt a raping price. Xbox for instance, I paid $200 for xbox, $60 for a game, $60 for xbox live. They advertise downloads for games, they dont advertise that they charge for each download.

But its all opinion

Doesnt matter anyway this is a pointless argument nobody's going to prove anything useful except who can get the last word in

Ill do things my way u do them ur way

w0rd!

:)

30. chaslang

Okay! So how much do ya want for your Linksys signal booster. Maybe I could use it on my 802.11b network. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Access Point with 4 wire ports.
    Two of my kids are on wireless to this. They could use a boost. But I just don't now whether it really helps or not. I know in you case it did not. But your sounds like something else was going on even before the signal booster.

31. Major Attitude

Didnt have it for 12 hours, returned it.

32. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

damn, I was hoping to see some hardware death. :)

33. chaslang

Good! Did you tell them it sucked?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds