Linksys WRT54G

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keeferj2, Aug 28, 2010.

1. keeferj2

keeferj2 Private First Class

Helping my son with an issue. He has a WRT54G router that he's been connected to for about three years. Today his Modem was giving him problems and the cable provider replaced it. They worked him through the registration process while he was wired into the modem. Afterwards, he attempted to connect to the router wirelessly. He was able to connect to the network but not the internet.

His system is an HP Laptop (sorry, don't have the model). He is running Vista home. The diagnosis said the issue was with the DNS.

We checked the cables and connections and the appear correct and good. He rebooted the computer, modem, and router. (Acutally, he unplugged them all and the restarted them. )

We could Ping the router, we cabled into the router and still couldn't connect to the internet. We checked the settings, released the DCHP and refreshed the DCHP. Nothing.

We reset the router to factory default and configured again. Nothing. Cable company says it's the router. Linksys won't provide the answer for less than $50.

Any suggestions?

2. keeferj2

keeferj2 Private First Class

Well, Don't ask me why, but out of frustration, I had him power down the Modem and power it back up again, and this time it worked. Thank you for those who took the time to read this. And I hope anyone who searches for an answer in the future gets a quick fix from here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds