Linux alongside Winows

Discussion in 'Software' started by KCK402, Aug 19, 2011.

1. KCK402

KCK402 Private E-2

When it says install linux mint 10 alongside windows does that mean I can have both OS? Also if I install linux mint 10 alongside windows XP will it delete any of my files on my windows XP? Right now I have Linux Mint 10 booting from a 8G USB flash drive.

Thanks For Your help.

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

Yes, installing it alongside Windows means it will shrink the Windows partition and not modify your Windows in any way. You will obviously have less free hard drive space on your Windows side, and will be given the option of which OS to boot from when powering on the computer.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

There is another way you can have both a Linux system and a Windows system on the same machine, by installing a virtual machine first and then installing Linux into it. The virtual machine runs within Windows so you can access it without leaving Windows or needing to reboot. Have a read HERE, or HERE and post back if you want to know more. The virtual machine has the advantage of not mucking about with your disk partitions, but it also appropriates some of your memory, slowing other things down when in use.

4. KCK402

KCK402 Private E-2

Thanks For all the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds