Linux corrupted cannot load

Discussion in 'Software' started by huntilla, Feb 23, 2008.

1. huntilla

huntilla Private E-2

My linux ubuntu distro has been corrupted, partly my fault, but the grub loader is not working and my Sata drive no longer is pointed at the windows install on the dual boot drive. How do you delete the grub loader or modify the boot log. I am up on an older drive but need to access the SATA to install a fresh copy of Ubuntu on my western digital drive. I keep getting I/O errors when trying to install from the bootable ISO distro. And the lifeguard tools does not recognize my drive so I cannot repartition from there. Currently it has only one partition with logical drive D: . This contains all files photos etc.

2. mikkh

mikkh Private First Class

Assuming you have a floppy drive, use a 98/ME boot floppy

and use the following command, after you've booted from the floppy

Code:
    fdisk/mbr
    Remove the floppy and press CTRL+ALT+DEL

.... Grub is now gone and Windows should boot

If you don't have one to hand, you can download one here...

www.bootdisk.com

(I usually choose the ME (OEM) one)

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds