Linux eee pc boot then freeze

Discussion in 'Software' started by funky munky, Mar 18, 2009.

1. funky munky

funky munky Staff Sergeant

I have one of these Linux eee PCs.

It boots to the start screen then I can do nothing the cursor doesn't move and the keyboard goes dead.

I have tried an F9 recovery but it still does it.

Any ideas?

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

When it has booted try pressing "ctrl+Alt"to release the curser.

3. funky munky

Cheer mate but still nothing :(

The cursor does move for 3 seconds or so.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Is this pre installed or a new install (by you)?
    under normal circumstances it should during set up ask you to set a password.
    When the logon screen comes up you need to insert username and password then after it is running whatever you do to change anything in the system it will check that you are authorised.

5. funky munky

It has auto log in.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

It sounds as though the OS is corrupt and is not completing the boot.

do you have the linux boot disk?
    if you have it then insert the disk and boot using that disk and then when it ask you to type something. type this
    linux 5
    and then press enter to enter command line to fix your error. this implies that you know the command. RH dont have such thing called safemode or any kind of things that are the same as that.

7. funky munky

It doesn't have a CD drive, could I find a Linux ISO and install it from a USB?

I restored factory setting I thought that was a reinstall.

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

You can choose which version you want from here.

http://linux.com/download_linux/

There are several versions to choose from but the favourite is Ubuntu.
    Just download it on the PC you are now using then load it to a flash drive.
    Transfer the flash drive to the Linux PC and load.

9. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

you could try ctrl + alt + backspace, to see if you can get to the logon screen,
    there maybe some options there

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

As soon as you turn it on press F2 - that buys you some time because F9 is very particular about when it is clicked. F2 gets you into the BIOS. Press esc to get out of the BIOS without making changing and as soon as you are out, press F9 to return to factory default settings.

Another option, borrow an external DVD drive, hook it to the left USB port on your eeepc and put in the recovery DVD to restore it to the default setting.

Third option, make a bootable USB stick, using unetbootin, put another distro on, press F2 at startup and in the Boot options, select the USB device to run another distro.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds