Linux mint

Discussion in 'Software' started by BILLMCC66, Mar 19, 2011.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have just built a new PC and at the moment do not have a windows OS, i am using Linux mint.
    What i would like to know ,is there an application for folding GPU with mint.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Bill

Not an expert in Linux folding but I know a client is available HERE for console or HERE are a few also and SMP maybe for you.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks David.
    I just finished the PC this morning and am starting to get it running to my satisfaction.

4. DavidGP

Neat Bill, whats the spec of the PC?

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Its 64bit with I7 960 CPU plus a GTX480 and the mobo is Asus extreme II

The reason for the new build is i sold both my other rigs (got an offer i could not refuse)

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Unless something has come out very recently, there is still no native GPU folding client for linux. As far as I know you have to run WINE in Linux to get the standard GPU client to run. I have no idea how this works at all.

Yeah, what ya got this time BILL? (I'm too slow. Nice rig.)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I am not sure if i will stick with mint, it will be a couple of weeks at least before i could get another OS so i may give it a try (new learning curve )
    This is the first time i have tried using mint and have no idea what i am doing at the moment (nothing new there then )but if i can get the E-mail client sorted and a good points from folding then i might just stay with it.

8. DavidGP

Damn nice specs Bill, and Mint the last time I used it I thought it was very good, I'm a Kubuntu fan personally.

Thunderbird in Linux Mint should be not so bad in email setup, similar to Outlook or OE

9. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Each time i try to set up Thunderbird it tells me my password is incorrect regardless of what i set as password.
    It will not even accept the password from my ISP.

10. DavidGP

Bill is that the same if you run Thunderbird in Windows?

Whos your ISP? some have weird asss settings at times.

11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I did not use Thunderbird in windows i used Outlook.

This is the first time i have tried to configure it

My ISP is Telenet.be and i have an ID plus password that works in windows but for some reason it will not accept in Thunderbird

You know me i don't give up easily so it is work in progress.

At least i got on the internet with it :yum

12. DavidGP

Hi Bill

What are the POP3 and SMTP server addresses you are using?

13. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks for the input David.
    I hope i have solved the problem now, i have switched from mint (not my flavor :-D) to Ubuntu and have installed Evolution as the E-mail client.

now the next thing is to get it folding, i have a system tray client installed in my home folder but am having trouble with the command to get it running :confused

14. DavidGP

15. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Yep i read that but it does not seem to help in my situation.
    The problem is formulating the exact command to get it going and if you put a full stop or / in the wrong order it will not recognize the command.

I am of course in a learning curve so it will take a little time to come to terms with a new OS.

The resolution is not as good as windows but that may just be the drivers for the GPU. i will search a little later.

16. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Did you get your command and drivers straightened out BILL?

17. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have got it folding now thanks,
    I have come over to MGs as will Augie when he get home from hospital (we were a team of 2 and we got as high as 243 in the overall folding list)

I doubt i will stay with Ubuntu, it maybe that i have been using windows for so long but i do not find it as good, so it will be a couple of weeks yet before i can get out and buy a copy of windows 7 but i think i will be changing.

18. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hi Bill, been back since yesterday but can't fold 'til I can get mobile, hopefully within a week. It must of been a real good profit to upgrade to a 960!:eek :drool

19. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Hey Augie great to see you back.
    I hope all went well, now is time to relax and recuperate.

Both rigs were sold to friends of my young neighbor, they wanted me to build PCs at first but then when i ran a few games for them they had brain farts and offered me silly money so me being a nice man i took it.

20. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

roflmao @ 'nice man'. I do know that they got a quality high-end machine without having any corners cut.

21. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Well Augie you may be sick but your sense of humor has not been effected.

22. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Regarding the resolution being bad, I have had migraine-level headaches trying to make Linux, both Mint and Ubuntu work on nVidia cards. They are just not good cards for Linux, with very poor support for open-source drivers. If you ever want to try out Linux again in the future, I would suggest just going with an ATI crad. I wish I had....

23. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Your right Mimsy.
    I have tried just about everything to get the resolution better but the drivers are not good.
    No problem in the next week or so i will buy a copy of windows.

24. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Well i am back with windows 7.
    I bought professional just for the fact i do not need bitlocker.
    I got it for $302 so not the best price but not the worst.

It was just the resolution that stopped me staying with Linux Mint, The guy in the computer store where i bought it is a programmer and said there is a way to change the resolution and make it better by re-programming it but it is difficult to so i left it at that.

25. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Are you using LinuxMint Debian or the LinuxMint Ubuntu based 64 bit?

I had downloaded LMDE and then simply installed Ubuntu again. I am not jumping onto 11.04 and will either stay with what I have or migrate to Mint10 myself.

Here is a guide to FAH on Mint 9- mint10 should be easy.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  26. Mimsy

I'm on Mint 10 right now, and very happy with it. At the same time, if you enjoy 9, there's no real reason to upgrade. :)

27. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I did not want to hijack the thread, but am somewhat wondering if the issue is using 64 bit Linux when 32 would work- I have Nvidia hardware on both desktops and it was even hot-swappable when my wife cooked her desktop machine. I agree with you that updates are not always the best solution, but some geeks cannot help but break what is working.

28. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I was using 64 bit but the resolution was :crap so i have gone back to windows.

The guy in the PC store said it can be improved but it is a programming solution so i left it alone.

29. Mimsy

That could have something to do with it... the old desktop I put my Mint on has 32-bit hardware, so I of course installed hte 32-bit version, and it has no resolution problems at all.

30. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

I second that. I got a cheap nVidia PCI card when I bought my second monitor, and I couldn't get it to play nice with Ubuntu. I couldnt get it and my intel onboard to work at the same time. Only reason I use windows on my desktop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds