Linux N00b

Discussion in 'Software' started by gamejunkie13, Feb 20, 2008.

1. gamejunkie13

gamejunkie13 Private E-2

I have been working with windows for a few years and I have looked into learning Linux, but never got around to it. I just bought a new Asus EeePC. It is running a gui version of Linux. I would like to learn more about it, without just relying on the gui.
    Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. mikkh

mikkh Private First Class

The default OS is Xandros (good choice IMO) and you couldn't ask for an easier to use version of Linux, so there's nothing much to learn really.

There's no real need to 'get your hands dirty' because the majority of things can be done in programs with a GUI front end - much like Windows, where you don't have have to the resort to the command line that many times.

There are many Linux command line sites, but they're usually just boring, poorly explained lists of commands with few examples and I can't think of a decent one off the top of my head to recommend - mostly because I haven't found one yet!

You pick things up as you go along, mostly by following examples in forums

Here's a few commands I've found useful....

ifconfig - the Linux equivalent of ipconfig, but with more detail

xkill - kill the next program or window you click after using the command
    (useful for programs that fail to respond or crash, and instant unlike Windows 'end now') Although you can press CTRL+ALT+Backspace to kill the entire GUI and return to the login prompt if you're really stuck

ls - similar to DIR in DOS. Handy if you're CDing up and down directories and want to check where you are.

Once you get used to the command line, you'll find it has many advantages over DOS, like command history being available using the up/down arrows and completion of commands with the TAB key

If you wanted to use 'ifconfig' for example, just type in 'ifc' and then press the tab key, it completes the command for you

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. mikkh

Sorry, but that's just one of those long boring list type sites I mentioned in my post - no help at all really.

Learn grep? why? I've never used it in 5 years+ of using Linux, and I can't see the average user having to use it either. In fact there's little need to resort to the command line at all.

I spent part of the morning sorting Pardus out, because it was already installed on a HD I had, and I switched it to a newer system with (obviously) different hardware. Most things were reconfigured automatically or could be sorted via the control center. The only time I had to resort to the command line was to get the new sound card working. I typed in 'alsaconf' and the rest was just press ok several times.

I've spent the rest of the day in 'Vector' and never had to use the command line once. It's mostly used for sorting problems out, and I haven't got any

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Some people find Shakespeare boring too. Then there are those who find his works tantalizing. Who are you to decide whats needed and whats not? I've used every one of the commands I've listed, and more. I've been using Linux for only 2 years. Does that make them useless? Heh.

the original poster said, and I quote:

He did not ask if it was boring, or if you found it useful.

7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

are you kidding? you havn't used grep? Most have a better memory then me, its so handy to use to locate files.

8. gamejunkie13

gamejunkie13 Private E-2

Actually, I find the CLI intimidating sometimes, especially DOS. BUT, the Cisco CLI is very intuitive and the is always the always helpful "?".
    I know that there are always multiple ways of accomplishing the same task. When you sit the certs for MS, they want everything done ONE way, it might not be the easiest, but it is their way. With a GUI and CLI at my disposal, I should be able to wiggle my way through everything I need. The Xandros GUI is nice, but sometimes you just need to get down and dirty.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sometimes its easier to get down and dirty than hunt for a way to do it via GUI.

10. mikkh

Colemanguy

No I've never used grep, and yes I do have a good memory. Without sounding condescending I also understand the directory structure of Linux and know the obvious places to look for things - hence I don't need grep. I've never used a search utility in Windows either for the same reason.

Adrynalyne

Who am I? Who are you to talk down to me like I'm a child?
    Am I supposed to congratulate you for using all those commands? I did give a list of commands I've found useful and nowhere did I say they were useless.
    I just questioned their need on a day to day basis, which was a valid comment IMO

The way to learn Linux is simply to use it, whether that's via a GUI or the CLI depends on what you're trying to do. I didn't say don't use the CLI, and I do find it useful and necessary on occasions, but I don't use it for no reason when there are easier to use alternatives. I could type in a long winded command to burn a CD, or simply use K3B instead.

I used to add my Linux partitions to Windows boot.ini by making a boot sector image (after installing to the root partition instead of the MBR)
    For that I *needed* the CLI to issue this command
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda7 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
    Fabulous stuff - and it works, and couldn't be done any other way, so don't twist my words and say I said the CLI is not useful, because I didn't say that

And at the risk of sounding like the idiot you think I am, yes Shakespeare is complete and utter tripe

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Don't play with me. I know what you meant. No help at all really does = useless.

I provided the poster with what he wanted. You went out of your way to find my list boring, and no help at all. Who attacked who, exactly? That list was handpicked by me, for commands that I use and found useful. Hence, I provided them to the poster, with the intent of helping him out.

The first step to being a better tech is to understand that your needs are not the needs of others. The Windows registry is my playground, but I don't force feed people that stuff, because their needs differ from mine.

This is the real problem with Linux users these days. There are those who give someone what they ask for, information, and there are those who have an elitist attitude and think their way is the only one that matters, or has any bearing.

By the way, I never said I thought you were an idiot. Nor do I think such a thing. Playing like an innocent lamb at the slaughter after denouncing my post is a little bit silly though.

At any rate, the bickering doesnt matter, the poster does. If anyone has any links for him, please post away.

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Steady on now folks, take two breaths and then continue.

The original poster is a linux n00b as stated in the original post, which by definition means they dont know much about the commands needed to operate this OS sucessfully, so need some guidance, which is generally good form to either post some "step by step guides" or lists of commands so they can read up on what they do, as learning a new OS and its structure can be daunting at times.

So the more info posted the better, we all have our favorite links to information and there are no right or wrongs in this, just opinions. Arguing which is the better method to do a task gets us nowhere and is NOT the best signal to show a new member what Majorgeeks is all about in all of us sharing whatever knowledge we have with ourselves as "geeks" and those new to PCs and variosu OSes.

13. gamejunkie13

gamejunkie13 Private E-2

The Linux n00b agrees, I am here for information. Thank you for that. However, argueing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olymplics, you might win, but you're still a retard. rolleyes

14. pondhopper

pondhopper Private E-2

15. gamejunkie13

gamejunkie13 Private E-2

16. gamejunkie13

gamejunkie13 Private E-2

Nevermind.....

Definition: zombie: n. [Unix] A process that has died but has not yet relinquished its process table slot (because the parent process hasn't executed a wait(2) for it yet). These can be seen in ps(1) listings occasionally. Compare orphan.

http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/g/zombie.htm
    :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds