Linux netbook knocking others off wireless

Discussion in 'Software' started by evti, Sep 7, 2012.

1. evti

evti Private E-2

I have an Acer netbook which I have installed Ubuntu on (the netbook version). Whenever I try and connect it to the wireless in my place, all of the other wireless devices will disconnect. Once the netbook is online, it will be less than 5 minutes before it disconnects again. I try and connect again, and it will disconnect again. Meanwhile, the other computers won't connect while the netbook is on the network or trying to connect. To me it seems like something to do with hardware compatibility or something. Any ideas?

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

You may want to check your router settings.

If you have Qos (Quality of Service) you may want to give the Linux box the lower quality signal, allowing the others to connect first. Also set a seperate WPA key for the Acer. If you are using the same WPA password on two systems, the router will be confused.

3. evti

evti Private E-2

What would I enter for QoS settings? Do I simply prioritize all inbound traffic to the Acer? Also, I use the same WPA password for all of my devices, how come the Acer is different and, more importantly, how would I set a separate password?

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

Give the Acer the lower priority and the reason you want this and separate WPA is to allow the Linux box to connect after the other devices.

What kind of router are you using?

5. evti

evti Private E-2

I am using a Linksys WRT400N with DD-WRT installed on it, in bridge mode. The router responsible for DHCP is a D-Link DIR-657.

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

Unless someone else chimes in, you will need to start a new thread in Networking.

Google found some QoS settings pages pages, but I don't want to give you wrong info on your router.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds