Linux versus Windows...........

Discussion in 'Software' started by Strange1, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Son-in-law thinking of putting Linux on a comp of mine instead of Windows. What are the pro's and con's for desktop PC. Comp is an older Pavilion with 500 proc. Plenty of hd dr and ram tho If this has already beaten to death, advise what thread. Tried to find but couldn't. Thanks.

Jack

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

In a nut shell? Not as user friendly. Everything from user interface to driver install sucks next to Windows. That said, for surfing the web and most average computer tasks theres nothing wrong with it as a free alternative.

3. Other Dummy

Other Dummy Private E-2

Linux is a virtual minefeild of odd problems every version seems to want to prove its prowess in programming forgeting that not everyone is a wonk or professional obviscateror. I've been using it since unix morphed to it and am always taken back by its unfreindliness for the common user. there have been improvements in recent years but windows is easier for the non-tech user. One thing is its free and if you like to tinker it might be for you,

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Errr, yah.

My opinion: Linux is great on servers, sucky for desktops. If you're any sort of power user, Linux will suck if you're used to windows. There is little you can change without getting horribly involved in config files and other such nonsense. If you don't mind hours learning how to do everything all over again, then sure, why not, but for me (who doen't have time to re-learn how to use a computer) its pretty pointless.

Once someone gets a package together which will essentially totally hide the code side of Linux away from users, then I might consider it a good desktop replacement.

5. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

I was going to leave this alone as I felt MA had been hard but fair.

I suggest that you acquire one of the Live distros such as Knoppix. It runs off the CD without affecting your machine. It'll give you some insight into what Linux is all about.

It can be tricky, as can Windows, otherwise we wouldn't have sites like this.

I run both, I just installed Fedora Core 3 64 bit on a new machine, picked up all my kit. Full install, including d/l'd updates was about 75 minutes.

Mandrake is a pretty good distro to start with.

It can be useful too, I run a distro of Feather Linux from a 128Mb Jump Drive.

Sorry goldie, started posting before I saw you there.

6. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Thanks everyone. I think I'll try to change his mind. For him I'd say no prob but for me, well........................

Jack

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds