Lite-On DVD-RW problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N5638J, Jul 3, 2007.

1. N5638J

N5638J Guest

I don't really know how do say this but i will try and be as clear as i can.

I have a Lite-On DVD-RW after what happen afew weeks ago it was still working fine but when i sat my computer on its side to change out the mobo and processor the DVD-rw will not open. If i push the button and using my finger to slide the tray up and down and tap it it will open and keeps doing that until i put a disk in it then it will open fine no problem or anything reads and writes fine and opens with no problem. If theres no disk in it it will not open even if i take a pin and push it in the manual open it feels like something is jamming it. could it be because it was sat on its side? could leaning it to the other side fix this problem? I would RMA it but someone else bought it for me so first i would have to send it to Newegg then they say they cant fix it so then they say we are out of stock (been so for afew weeks) so then they will pick me out another drive of the same spec's but different brand (I will only use a Lite-On burner) then send it to my friend (who happens to be out of town for afew weeks and she lives afew states north so i cant pick it up) So then weeks later when she gets home then it gets sent to me. Anybody? Anything? What should i do? Bout time i get done paying all the shipping costs i could get a new drive rolleyes

2. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Bump. Anyone?

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I don't really have anything helpful to say here... I've put a bazillion PC's on their sides to work on 'em, and NEVER had a CD/DVD drive go whacko afterward. If Newegg will send you another one, a different brand from Lite-On, go with NEC/OptiArc (it might even be NEC/Sony by now). I've had an NEC DVDRW for awhile now, and never had any trouble with it, and NEC optical drives recently received the highest consumer satisfaction ratings at a web site I stumbled across a few weeks ago (I don't remember the site :( ). On the other hand, I have had some trouble with Lite-On drives in the past, not many, but more than I've had with the NEC's.... just my opinion and my personal experience. We all get attached to our favorite brands: I was an Intel man for years, but had to get an Athlon64 (yes, I HAD to, it's a long story), and I'm glad I did! It's faster, and runs cooler, and has given ZERO problems compared to the Pentium 4 I had before it... I'm rambling.... I hope that everyhting works out for you.... ;)

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds